FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Powered by Nature

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Powered by Nature
    Posted: 22 Mar 22 at 6:46am
Mark’s puff piece about SailGP reminds us that it’s tagline is “Powered by nature” and that this appeals strongly to corporate sponsors looking to present a clean image.

Does anyone believe that autoclaving carbon/epoxy compositions, then setting up an international travelling circus to race them is environmentally helpful?

I can appreciate SailGP for what it is - an exciting and televisual sailboat race with some of the worlds best sailors. But let’s be honest, the only game changer here is the cynical exploitation of green issues to make money for Coutts and his cronies. Good for the planet it ain’t.
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 22 at 9:02am
Looks exciting, got to be better than formula one. I will certainly watch it.
Would be surprised if anyone makes any money from it, other than people who are being payed to do something, manufacturers, employees of anything to do with it. People who are actually paying for it will get prestige and renown, or whatever they wish to draw peoples attention to.
Greener than motor sports, development will be similar, but he final outcome won't need hydrocarbons to function, before someone points it out, yes they will have safety boats, but, could be a chance to push battery powered safety boats.
Robert
Old bloke View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Old bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 22 at 10:00am
I know its not easy running something like Y+Y nowadays (how many people here actually buy the magazine regularly) but I do feel that this uncritical, gushing piece stepped over the line. If it had been submitted by Sail Gp that would be one thing, although as the American site always say "buy an ad", but as an editorial its a bit too much
The Q View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 22 at 12:21pm
Sadly that's the way these days, if no one buys the magazine they have to get rid of reporters, which means they rely on outsiders putting things in, even if it's just a big advert..

Our local paper went the same way, most of the reporters gone, just about the only journalism is phoning local pubs and businesses to see what's going on.

Still sailing in circles
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 22 at 12:56pm
Enjoying season 3 so far. It’s a bit like T20 cricket - thrills, spills and shirt attention spans. Nathan Outeridge must be mighty peeved though!

Makes me wonder why there isn’t a professional Moth circuit. It would be far cheaper, easier logistically and greener. And none really cares about anyone other than the helms so the main names could be the same.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 22 at 5:10pm
Good first day.
Robert
Old bloke View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Old bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 22 at 6:57pm
Good second day.
I think it's really great. Enough thrills and spills for the casual watcher and technical, tactical enough for the likes of us The only bit that irritates me is them cutting away from the panoramic view every time something is happening so that you miss the important bits.
 Post Reply Post Reply