FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

open sailing events/regattas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
wolfram View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote wolfram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: open sailing events/regattas
    Posted: 15 Jan 22 at 1:41pm
Been looking for annual sailing event/regatta I could trailer my dinghy to and base the family holiday round.

I've found:
Abersoch Dinghy Week
Bass Week
North West Norfolk Week

Are there any others I should consider? Any weekend or one day opens to also look out for?

Which would be best for a novice sailor in a Phantom or Solution Dinghy (I know Abersoch is on the Phantom calendar)
Wolfram
Grumpycat View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grumpycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 22 at 3:19pm
Oulton broad week , they sail loads of races each day so you pick an choose which ones to do to suit what you’re doing with the family .
Or .
As you mentioned,North Norfolk week, advantage of this is they tend to sail very early in the mornings to catch the tide so you have the rest of the day with the family ,disadvantage is you have to take your boat to a different location every day .
My choice would be Oulton Broad week.  Smile

Edited by Grumpycat - 15 Jan 22 at 3:24pm
Old bloke View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Old bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 22 at 4:57pm
Either of the Salcombe weeks. Yacht club regatta is sl more serious racing, Town week is more relaxed. Either way 1 longish race a day and the rest of the time for the family holiday. Salcombe Town Regatta has lots of fun runs, crab catching, sandcastle building etc etc.
sawman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 22 at 7:38pm
Bass Week is Ace! 
wolfram View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wolfram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 22 at 11:08am
Thanks for suggestions!
Wolfram
The Q View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 22 at 1:30pm
3 Rivers Race 28-29 May 2022 , up to 150 boats 14ft to 40ft, 50 miles to race on the Norfolk Broads, in a 24 hour period, three Bridges to lower your mast for..  you choose which route passing 4 marks on the route and return to the clubhouse. The record is about 8 hours, the worst is only 13 boats finished.. A test of skill and endurance against tide and wind.. Entries here.. 3rr.uk
videos of the race.

https://youtu.be/WOpGhAqFBqg

https://youtu.be/-9V6FeW9ydU

Horning Regatta week, very family orientated, (Norfolk Broads) 5 days Monday to Friday, 1st to 5th August 2022, four to six 1 hour races each day for dinghies, depending on what you qualify for.  No need to pre enter before the week enter on the day.

https://youtu.be/GGCZ_AeyB3M

For futher information on the above please contact me..

Edited by The Q - 07 Feb 22 at 1:39pm
Still sailing in circles
NicolaJayne View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote NicolaJayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 22 at 3:49pm
NW Norfolk is good fun but it;s a lot of rigging and  de-rigging  especialy  as the 2022   week seems to have  split the Snett weekend with  one  day  at  either  end of the week  - back i nthe day (mid 90s) the opener used to be off the beach at Hunstanton and Snett was the  end   and  the  whole second Weekend - there are also so omther venues missing  - i have recollection of it being 8 or 9  days of sailing 
The Q View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 22 at 10:17am
At one time you could sail everyday  the whole of the School holidays just going from regatta to regatta in Norfolk and Suffolk. click on The Norfolk and Suffolk Boating Association (thegreenbook.org.uk)
and there is some information, but the summer programme doesn't seem to have been filled in yet..
Still sailing in circles
The Q View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 22 at 10:22am
If you are going to or interested in the 3 Rivers Race.

12 days to go and the long range forecast is in, Easterly 10mph for the whole race, with a maximum temperature of 13C.

Not that good on either count,  an easterly is over the houses on the left of the first straight and you'd need to tack occasionally..  Very little tide for the start though. I could see 100+ boats tacking in the first half mile of river if the forecast doesn't change..

Still sailing in circles
KazRob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote KazRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 22 at 11:53am
Tummel Week (near Pitlochry) at the end of July is fabulous if you want a really chilled out week and especially if you have young kids. https://www.facebook.com/LochTummelSailingClub/
OK 2249
D-1 138
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>