FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

lighting board

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
wolfram View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote wolfram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lighting board
    Posted: 16 Oct 21 at 9:56am
Hi,

I'm looking for tips on designing a lighting board for trailering my dinghy (Phantom)

It has pintels on the transom - so was going to cut a bit of MDF to attach number plate and lights to - with a high 'U' shaped bit in the middle to take the mast.

However, I'm a bit worried about weather (will MDF just disintegrate over time) and weight (will it be too much strain on the transom)

Toying with the idea of buying a UPVC window board and fashioning it out of that

Another question - how wide should it be? is 4 foot wide enough?
Wolfram
ClubRacer View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ClubRacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 21 at 10:26am
would it not be easier to get something like this? you can get different ones to configure to pintle spacing and type

Edited by ClubRacer - 16 Oct 21 at 10:26am
NickM99 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 21 at 10:39am
You probably can't get anything else these days but my life was transformed by buying a board with LED lights.  The old ones sold e.g. by Halfords were very unreliable.
wolfram View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wolfram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 21 at 10:56am
Hi - I've actually bought these wireless LED lights - they are working really well - just need to mount them - 

Edited by wolfram - 16 Oct 21 at 10:57am
Wolfram
wolfram View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote wolfram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 21 at 10:58am
Thanks - that is cheaper than the ones I had seen before, I'll have to check sizes
Wolfram
Paramedic View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 21 at 3:54pm
MDF is no good.

you need decent quality ply or proper universal brakes which are available in metal or fibreglass

Old bloke View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Old bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 21 at 7:51am
Those wireless lights look great. When cars were simple and I was poor I used to fit my own towbar and wire up the socket. I used to leave the socket inside the boot away from the rain mud and salt. With the wireless connection you could easily do the same and remove another cause of the bloody things not working.
Gordon 1430 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gordon 1430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 21 at 9:13am
Wolfram I had a piece of MDF as you described t lasted for about 3 years befor moisture ot the better of it.  I replaced it with 1/2 inch ply but whatever you can find.

Most important thing it to make sure you can hold the board onto the pintels, I always secure mine with rope onto the transom bar and I now have a pin to hold the board in place
Gordon
Phantom 1430
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 21 at 11:21am
Old bloke, I still fit my own towbar and electrics, mornings work for best part of a thousand quid, dealers are rip off artists.
Robert
Old bloke View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Old bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 21 at 3:01pm
I'm sure you are right, but you get out of the habit. Ever since they started putting a big cover over the engine with"GO AWAY" in big letters on it, it became too stressful!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>