FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inflatable Kayaks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inflatable Kayaks
    Posted: 15 Oct 21 at 5:21pm
Has anyone had anything to do with these? I'm kinda minded to do some exploring of the local rivers, and a proper canoe would be a nuisance to transport and store. In particular damage resistance (which presumably to a good extent goes with price).
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 21 at 5:36pm
I have a Sevvylor inflateable canoe, this is a two seater, there are two individual inflateable seats, hull and seats have an outer cover for protection, looks and feels like Kevlar, but don't think it is. Takes about 10 minutes to set up. Had it for years, never had any issues with it. Carry bag is about size of Bergen bag and quite heavy, but will fit in any car.
I also have normal Kayaks has well, sit in and sit on top, so can speak from a broad experience.
Edited to add, can be use has a single seater, the seat has another fixing point in centre, canoe is also larger than it looks in photos, more like a Canadian canoe.

Edited by 423zero - 15 Oct 21 at 6:14pm
Robert
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 21 at 5:39pm
This one= 
 https://picclick.co.uk/Sevylor-inflatable-kayak-KEC79-Amazon-2-seater-With-153058411936.html
Robert
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 21 at 7:11pm
IME most inflatable kayaks are pretty poor and you have to pay for something that is anything more than a toy. Have you considered an inflatable stand up paddle board? Many have a kayak seat option and even the cheaper ones are pretty robust. #1 son, Matt, had a couple of goes this summer and immediately bought one for £320*. It has attachment points for a kayak seat (which another £40 will get him) and it comes with a double paddle option included. Cheaper SUPs come with lower quality accessories like paddles and pump and have less stringent QC but Matt's board (a Dama brand) seems very robust and decently put together.

*Him buying his SUP was enough to make me finally buy myself one and, while it ain't gonna replace sailing/windsurfing it is a very pleasant way to get on the water and standing up is kinder to my back than our kayaks (I have an old 'Rotobat' white water boat and bought my wife a sit on top in June).

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 15 Oct 21 at 7:12pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Chris_H View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 21 at 6:45am
After much research, I bought this one last year and it is great, robust and comfy enough. Packs up reasonably small and my purchase came with a good electric (12v) pump. Sevylor are the biggest other brand and you can’t go wrong with them, though I prefer the look of mine.

I use it on the Hamble river and recently used it on our Cornwall holiday

It is Far removed from ‘toy’ quality Sam 😉

https://www.leisureoutlet.com/inflatable-kayaks/water-world/outdoor-pursuits/70309-z-pro-tango-200-blue-inflatable-recreational-kayak?surface=active&gclid=CjwKCAjwzaSLBhBJEiwAJSRoknnHriTfKohdifuY56hijqU0isNoSJzKP1F_5KPesfpH4MCaaHBjRhoCqPIQAvD_BwE

Edited by Chris_H - 16 Oct 21 at 6:50am
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 21 at 9:29am
Broken link but is this the one? https://www.leisureoutlet.com/outdoor-pursuits/water-world/inflatable-kayaks/70309-z-pro-tango-200-blue-inflatable-recreational-kayak ? Yes, at not far off £400 I'd expect that to be more than a toy  Thumbs Up
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Chris_H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 21 at 9:32am
Yeah, that’s the one tx 👍
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 21 at 9:44am
Thanks all. Food for thought.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 21 at 10:14am
A kayaking friend of mine has same boat has Chris h, first class, equal of my sevylor.
A couple of years ago, a group of us cruised down the Severn, I had rear most seat fitted, entire front of boat was loaded with my camping gear, looked like a working narrow boat, brilliant weekend.
Robert
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 21 at 12:25pm
As am alternative to blow up toys, we used to sell a modular sit on kayak which was more easily transported, trying to remember what they were called, the company that made them were Point 65 a Swedish company. I'll google and edit...

Here, much more expensive than when we sold them

Everything seems to have gone up so dramatically in recent times those tequilas were £799, that price hike is worse than dinghys of late.

Edited by iGRF - 17 Oct 21 at 12:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply