FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Clean wind or favoured tack?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
sargesail View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clean wind or favoured tack?
    Posted: 08 May 22 at 7:58am
Originally posted by Paramedic

It isn't really though is it because if they did do away with it i'm pretty sure on some days I could roll tack my solo up the beat head to wind. Its only in conditions where we really shouldn't be racing that this crops up I suppose and if we decide to sail we - mostly - all know where the line is.
I don't think there is much wrong with any of the propulsion rules. Windsurfing removed them and within 3 years a thriving racing scene at my club had died completely.

Yes you could - based on empirical evidence from racing solo sailors!
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 22 at 10:10am
Originally posted by Grumpycat

This is very true, which is why this rule is very silly. 

But no rule is much worse. I love gentle subtle kinetics, the use of subtle body movement coupled with sail and rudder to make best use of changing conditions, and if I'm sailing recreationally I do it all the time.

But legalise it, and is this what we see? It is not. What we see is the 470s [redacted] on the trapeze, the constant sail flapping/air rowing of the boards, Star crews constantly rocking the boat, and even when its technically illegal there have been times when certain fleets have got in the habit of rocking rolling and pumping round the track.

The cure tastes pretty nasty, but it sure as hell is a load better than the disease. I'm sure the sailing authorities would be delighted if someone could frame better propulsion rules that weren't desperately subjective, but I know I'm not smart enough to manage it.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 22 at 11:17am
Yes, leave it alone, racing rules are top heavy enough, experienced sailors and officials know when someone is taking the mickey.
Robert
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 22 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Paramedic

It isn't really though is it because if they did do away with it i'm pretty sure on some days I could roll tack my solo up the beat head to wind. Its only in conditions where we really shouldn't be racing that this crops up I suppose and if we decide to sail we - mostly - all know where the line is.

I don't think there is much wrong with any of the propulsion rules. Windsurfing removed them and within 3 years a thriving racing scene at my club had died completely.

At my club it wasn't pumping that killed long board racing (or on the UK circuit) but what did is another discussion. I was very against pumping in Div 1 but got to be reasonably good at it out of necessity. And on boards at least it was pretty much impossible to police.

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 18 May 22 at 4:28pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
CT249 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote CT249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 22 at 9:37am
We police upwind pumping in the Windsurfer LT class with no problem, although there is a "pump all you want" period for 30 seconds after the start. Policing when the air is as dirty as it is when coming off the is extremely difficult, as is downwind pumping so we allow that first burst of pumping upwind and all pumping downwind. It's a pretty good compromise and the conformity with the rules is excellent.

In general I must agree with Jim C 100%. If we didn't have rules against kinetics many people would spend much of each race pumping or rolling as hard as they could. In many classes you would just stand on the foredeck and rock the boat from side to side as hard as you physically could. It would take away a vast amount of the skill, cause enormous gaps to the older and newer sailors, and look absolutely stupid.

Edited by CT249 - 30 May 22 at 9:38am
Grumpycat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grumpycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 22 at 1:53pm
I never said the there shouldn’t be rules . In general I am for the current rules , I don’t want to see a pump and rock fest .Only that the bit about coming out of the roll tack faster than you went in is silly as it’s not enforceable and every half decent ILCA/ Laser/Solo etc  sailor is doing exactly that up and down the country on a light wind day .
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 22 at 5:37pm
It's never going to be a problem in the Blaze, the racks prevent more than a very modest roll and the lack of rocker means they are slow to tack anyway  Unhappy
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123