FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Best Singlehander I've sailed this year

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Best Singlehander I've sailed this year
    Posted: 01 Oct 21 at 10:16am
Not a dinghy I fear.. it's the Original Windsurfer, revisited and called the Windsurfer LT and is already gaining considerable traction as an International Class racing alongside the Original in Europe as well as the Upside down folk.
It feels and handles just like the Original I cut my teeth on all those years ago, a bit like finding a comfortable old pair of slippers that upon wearing them someone has fitted roller skates. (For those who don't know I raced Windsurfers in the late seventies)

Wider bodied to the point it could be used as a Stand Up Paddle device if you're so mentally retarded, The rig is a slightly larger 5.7 soft sail with a tight leech and a carbon mast which develops considerable power for it's size (Most windsurfer rigs have 'floppy' leech not particularly well designed unless you know what your looking for so are under powered for their size anyway.)

I haven't raced it, there are no handicaps operating in the windsurf racing world and given it is the equivalent of a Laser and would be racing against the windsurfing equivalent of Contenders there would be little point, more it's been a water gym for much of the summer, mucking about, old school freestyle, playing in the shore break, sailing distances to outer sea marks, it's just been fun to play on.

A pity Windsurfers still fail to be recognised as racing devices by the Illuminati at the RYA as this would be a great device for club racing in fleets and would produce so much better sailors in dinghys later on, but alas there is no appetite by our Governing body for the promotion of our sport.

I would say, if you have ever sailed a windsurfer and fancy another try, you should give this consideration, such an easy board, I've not come off it yet had it all year in all manner of wind and conditions, a total delight.

Edited by iGRF - 01 Oct 21 at 10:19am
KazRob View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote KazRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 21 at 1:03pm
It's great to see Windsurfing returning to it's recreational roots and being able to sail in lighter winds. I keep meaning to get out on my old skool Mistral Equipe (picked up for £100!) with the dinghies but never quite get round to it.

All you need to do to get a PY number is enter a few races, get your own club illuminati to give you an experimental number and make sure it's on the return to the RYA. They can't give a number in an empirical system without people doing races.
OK 2249
D-1 138
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 21 at 1:10pm
Thumbs Up I have a hankering for an old Mistral Superlight but probably won't bother, I have a couple of short boards for when it's too windy for the Blaze and an iSUP and a very old Rotobat (kayak) for when it's not windy enough. Good to see the Windsurfer back in production and there seems to be a fair bit of interest, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Windsurfer OD class at UKWA events next year.

FWIW I loved racing Raceboards but was dismayed when they replaced the 7.5m class with the 9.5m, there was no way I was ever going to get fit enough to race them effectively.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 21 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

Thumbs Up I have a hankering for an old Mistral Superlight but probably won't bother, I have a couple of short boards for when it's too windy for the Blaze and an iSUP and a very old Rotobat (kayak) for when it's not windy enough. Good to see the Windsurfer back in production and there seems to be a fair bit of interest, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Windsurfer OD class at UKWA events next year.
FWIW I loved racing Raceboards but was dismayed when they replaced the 7.5m class with the 9.5m, there was no way I was ever going to get fit enough to race them effectively.

Well they do them in Mistral Colours a la Superlight a few down Hayling way allegedly and some talk of a class start for the Round Hayling... Honestly, you'd love it 5.7 rig sounds small but it's so punchy and the board weighs in around 15Kg.
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 21 at 3:59pm
£1349 little more than the Dufour Wing I had back in the day, but not hugely more expensive than an SUP … got to be better than golf when I can find the time to retire
Happily living in the past
Oatsandbeans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oatsandbeans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 21 at 7:50pm
All this is getting me thinking I should get my F2 380 out of storage but I have no idea where the all the bits are for it and I would probably struggle to get it down the beach anyway with a big rig on it!
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 21 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Oatsandbeans

All this is getting me thinking I should get my F2 380 out of storage but I have no idea where the all the bits are for it and I would probably struggle to get it down the beach anyway with a big rig on it!
F2 380? Just take it up the tip. Landfill, best place for an F2. Then go and buy one of these Windsurfer Lts,or what? Heading to be the richest person in the graveyard?

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oatsandbeans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 21 at 8:58am
and I thought it was the pinnacle of longboard design ( the F2 not the windsurfer!)
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 21 at 10:04am
Will he take the bait?
Happily living in the past

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oatsandbeans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 21 at 10:37am
Yes that was the idea - he will probably say the Equipe 2 was the best longboard!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>