FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

On the subject of Gel Coat and go faster coatings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: On the subject of Gel Coat and go faster coatings
    Posted: 06 Sep 21 at 3:33pm
Heard of an interesting subtance being use by one of my enthusiastic speed sailing kiter friends. It's a super hard ultra none abrasive epoxy coating developed in the dizzy world of Americas cup boat building, can't exactly remember what it was called, durepox? Something like that. He's built a kite board from it as part of his continued quest to raise the Weymouth Harbour speed record beyond the reach of anyone else. (Usually windsurfers).

But it's one of those substances that allegedly increase the speed of any given hull by 5% due to its slippery nature.

One wonders where else it might have already been applied? ;-)

Either way, if only for it's ultra hard abrasion resistance it's something we should know more about, particularly those of us who live with beach riding..

Anyone know more?

Edited by iGRF - 06 Sep 21 at 5:30pm
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 21 at 3:49pm
Not sure that Durapox is unusually slippery, and if something gave a 5% increase in speed we would all want to have some of it!  I think that you will find that Durapox is a two part coating system that is favoured by yards since it is pretty tolerant to different substrates, fast to coat, and is easy to fair before it is fully hard.  My personal experience is that it is too easy to cut through it when wet and drying despite applying multiple coatings.  It is also not easy to get in small quantities and I think the suppliers will only supply the trade.  Personally I will stick to two pack poly for my foils (which is what I used the Durapox for).
Happily living in the past
Oatsandbeans View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oatsandbeans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 21 at 4:39pm
I doubt if Durapox is any slippery than a 2K PU. What was slippery was Grafspeed around in the early 70s filled with graphite . Just make sure you didn’t rub up against it or you would end up looking like you spent the day down the pit. It probably wasn’t any faster anyway, but who’s to know ?
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 21 at 6:35pm
Who remembers Smoothy?
Happily living in the past
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 21 at 7:01pm
Millions of bubbles have been released down Hull in an attempt to reduce drag, don't think it worked.
Robert
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 21 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by 423zero

Millions of bubbles have been released down Hull in an attempt to reduce drag, don't think it worked.

Don’t mention bubbles in dinghy construction when Graf is around….down the rabbit hole we go….

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oatsandbeans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 21 at 7:52pm
Yes there was a white soft paint which was called go- fast-smooth made by Helmsman Paints. Easy to get a smooth surface but soft as anything so wouldn’t stay good for long.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 21 at 7:57pm
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/09/160902125334.htm
Got to be big bubbles according to this paper, can reduce friction by 20%

Edited by 423zero - 06 Sep 21 at 8:00pm
Robert
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 21 at 11:15pm
Grafspeed and the Helmsman white stuff worked simply 'cos it was easy to get a very smooth and fair finish with it. I used grey hi-build cellulose primer on my Div 1 boards to achieve exactly the same effect. Not sure it was faster but the grey dappled finish on my Superlight was great for psyching out the opposition  Wink.

the 'bubbles' thing was possibly a reference to the extruding polymers applied to some boats back in the day before it was banned?
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oatsandbeans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 21 at 5:42am
Yes paints have come a long way from those systems. The epoxy high build surfacers allowed you to get a lot of paint on in one go. Let it dry overnight-flat it back the next morning (really easy as it was still not very cured). It would then cure off over the next days giving a hard fair base for a top coat. It is easy to get a good finish with minimal work involved.
On the “bubbles “ thing sounds like what the Ruskies are doing with their latest hyper speed torpedo-it has a gas generator so it travels in its own bubble ,allowing it to go super fast ( allegedly!)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>