FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Solo Nationals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
ClubRacer View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ClubRacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solo Nationals
    Posted: 24 Aug 21 at 6:40pm
Andy Ritchie came in from the left which cemented the fleets conclusion that left is good, to lead from Richard Instone and Tom Gillard. The breeze was holding at 6-7 mph and the spread of the fleet across the course was quite startling. Mark Lee and Malcolm Buchanan were next from Paul Ellis and Andy Tunnicliffe. The fleet rounded the leeward gates to complete one lap then did it all again for lap 2, Guy Mayger and Andy Davis working their way forward into the mix while Tom Gillard took the lead. The wind was dropping and the run down to complete lap 2 was pretty uneventful. I glanced at my watch and noted that we had been racing close to an hour, guess this would be the last lap? We motored down with the fleet, Umpire Steve Watson continued to scan the mast tops for signs of naughtiness while I looked toward the committee boat. A club tender was moored in position, upon it’s mast a brightly coloured flag hung limply, not looking at all interested in flying. We all commented that there was no blue flag which ordinarily denotes a finishing line and no shortened course flag. Tom chose to round the left gate but instead of hardening up for lap 3 he continued on toward the committee boat, the fleet following. Met with silence as he crossed the invisible line we fully expected the next competitor to harden up and head upwind but one after another, the sailors followed, the David Attenborough documentary on Lemmings sprang into my mind and still they continued to fall from the cliff. The race officer took finishing positions, the race though, following a lengthy protest hearing would conclude that all the competitors had failed to finish the race in the allotted time and were therefore DSQ’d.
Sounds like a giant joke to me
nutonthetiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote nutonthetiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 21 at 7:01pm
Why don't they put the results online? Doesn't make me want to buy a Solo.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 21 at 7:24pm
They’re on Facebook. 
Maybe they are all having too much fun sailing and partying to care about outsiders at the moment.
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 21 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by A2Z

Maybe they are all having too much fun sailing and partying to care about outsiders at the moment.

No, Matron will be upping the dose of their meds..
eric_c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote eric_c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 21 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by ClubRacer

Andy Ritchie came in from the left which cemented the fleets conclusion that left is good, to lead from Richard Instone and Tom Gillard. The breeze was holding at 6-7 mph and the spread of the fleet across the course was quite startling. Mark Lee and Malcolm Buchanan were next from Paul Ellis and Andy Tunnicliffe. The fleet rounded the leeward gates to complete one lap then did it all again for lap 2, Guy Mayger and Andy Davis working their way forward into the mix while Tom Gillard took the lead. The wind was dropping and the run down to complete lap 2 was pretty uneventful. I glanced at my watch and noted that we had been racing close to an hour, guess this would be the last lap? We motored down with the fleet, Umpire Steve Watson continued to scan the mast tops for signs of naughtiness while I looked toward the committee boat. A club tender was moored in position, upon it’s mast a brightly coloured flag hung limply, not looking at all interested in flying. We all commented that there was no blue flag which ordinarily denotes a finishing line and no shortened course flag. Tom chose to round the left gate but instead of hardening up for lap 3 he continued on toward the committee boat, the fleet following. Met with silence as he crossed the invisible line we fully expected the next competitor to harden up and head upwind but one after another, the sailors followed, the David Attenborough documentary on Lemmings sprang into my mind and still they continued to fall from the cliff. The race officer took finishing positions, the race though, following a lengthy protest hearing would conclude that all the competitors had failed to finish the race in the allotted time and were therefore DSQ’d.
Sounds like a giant joke to me

What was the probability of the fleet completing another lap within the time limit?
ClubRacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ClubRacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 21 at 8:57pm
Looks like issues at the 400's too.

All but 1 boat DNF. If its a inputting issue its a pretty big one to overlook before publishing as nobody can see their position without having to work out everyone's net points.

https://www.halsail.com/Result/Public/54560 

Edited by ClubRacer - 25 Aug 21 at 9:01pm
ClubRacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ClubRacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 21 at 5:40pm
The breeze faded a little during race 5 as did competitor's brains. The race will be remembered for a lot of confusion and a long evening of protests.

At the end of lap 2, Simms & Lunn were leading from Groves & Waller but one of the leeward marks had drifted creating confusion on whether there was still a leeward gate or a port rounding single leeward mark. Some thought the shortened course flag was up so tried to finish and then the last windward mark was in the back of RIB heading North at 10 knots as we approached it.

Initial results showed locals Nick Woodhouse & Miles Lilley, the only boat to sail the correct course, as race winners with everyone else DNF. That triggered a flurry of redress protests so current results now show Woodhouse & Lilley as popular race winners with everyone else re-instated behind these local heroes.

Yep more drama

The nationals are meant to be the top event in the country for these fleets. And they are both one of the top classes in the country, you would expect a little more vigilance by the race team. I would be pretty annoyed if I were there.

Edited by ClubRacer - 26 Aug 21 at 5:52pm
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 21 at 7:15pm
Was disappointing but cannot blame the race team, the leaders went to the leeward offset finish at the target time, but no S flag displayed, the rest of the fleet followed.  The shame was that the results had they been allowed would have been a fair representation of the race, and later in the week we lost Thursday and Friday’s races due to the unique weather conditions of Mounts Bay in an Easterly.

I can also attest that the club and class are run by volunteers, so whilst the lack of published results in the usual places may be regrettable, they are also on holiday.
Happily living in the past
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 21 at 7:37pm
Any feedback on the M2 mast that is beginning to become popular?
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 21 at 7:16am
A few were using the Superspar including Taxi, mast is apparently lighter and has better gust response than the D+.  Though as one wag put it as we were held ashore “the Boatpark is knee deep in Bulls**t”.  Probably more important to have been early out of the gate and bang a left …
Happily living in the past
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>