FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RS200 Nationals - Clubs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Chris_H View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RS200 Nationals - Clubs
    Posted: 25 Aug 21 at 2:59pm
After reading all the  reasons for belonging to a club, I am siding with the view that belonging to a club is a little out-dated. Fine if you want to, but equally fine if there is no benefit to doing so if all you do is the circuit  The NoR and SI's amendments can cater for abiding with the RRS. 

I remember back in the day of the Laser 2 circuit, with Delsey/Freisenet sponsorship, where round-the-circuit racing took part on many weekends, and belonging to my local club was, in reality, a waste of money as I didnt use the club or its facilities for much of the time.

I respect the views of others who think otherwiase, but those have not really given a convincing reason as to why to continue to belong to a club if it doesnt really benefit you.

Still, most DO belong to a club, so its not really an issue overall to get worked up about ;-)

Edited by Chris_H - 25 Aug 21 at 3:01pm
Chris_H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 21 at 3:08pm
Having said the above, the club I belong to adds enormous value to me and my sailing and social enjoyment and is the best club I have ever been a member of, so no reason for me not to keep my dues paid 😉
Paramedic View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 21 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by eric_c

As for students being skint and going sailing, you make your choices about borrowing money, it's all debt these days unlike my cohort topping up their grant with a bit of debt to run cars, boats, motorbikes etc. Merely being 'skint' as in having zero money would be a luxury for those with a lot of negative money.

Not a bad argument.

But please tell me how £45 for an rya membership or £60max for a student membership at an actual club will make any odds. £180 over three years.
eric_c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote eric_c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 21 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by Paramedic

As for students being skint and going sailing, you make your choices about borrowing money, it's all debt these days unlike my cohort topping up their grant with a bit of debt to run cars, boats, motorbikes etc. Merely being 'skint' as in having zero money would be a luxury for those with a lot of negative money.

Not a bad argument.

But please tell me how £45 for an rya membership or £60max for a student membership at an actual club will make any odds. £180 over three years.
I don't think we disagree much.
Looking back, I wasted a lot of opportunities in my student years, blowing a few more hundred then would have made little difference in the long run and would have given me experience which cost a lot more later or I never got back to.
OTOH  180 quid would easily get swallowed elsewhere.

Some people leave their 'home' club as students because they are not there to do duties, clubs and circumstances vary. Some people don't sail much in their student years, a lot of other things to do.
I doubt there are many clubless student open meeting sailors out there though. Maybe one or two from euroland? Anyone care to point the finger at a real life example?

When it comes to the point of being bound by the rules, some people who've been members for 50 years seem to have more tendency to revert to colregs, Solo sailors shouting 'overtaking boat keep clear' springs to mind.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 21 at 8:16pm

Some people leave their 'home' club as students

Many if not most clubs have country, social or or distance type membership options which are typically much cheaper than even student memberships, don't allow sailing and don't require duties either but do provide the required chain of authority to comply with RRS.
Paramedic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 21 at 8:19pm

I don't think we disagree much.
Looking back, I wasted a lot of opportunities in my student years, blowing a few more hundred then would have made little difference in the long run and would have given me experience which cost a lot more later or I never got back to.
OTOH  180 quid would easily get swallowed elsewhere.

Some people leave their 'home' club as students because they are not there to do duties, clubs and circumstances vary. Some people don't sail much in their student years, a lot of other things to do.
I doubt there are many clubless student open meeting sailors out there though. Maybe one or two from euroland? Anyone care to point the finger at a real life example?

When it comes to the point of being bound by the rules, some people who've been members for 50 years seem to have more tendency to revert to colregs, Solo sailors shouting 'overtaking boat keep clear' springs to mind.

I don't think we do either.

As a Uni student at a uni that doesn't sail much/team racing isn't your thing the reduced student membership rate - at the right club - is probably the best value sailing you can get. Cant afford a boat? Crew for someone! If you're any good you'll quickly find your way into a good boat and could learn a lot. I wonder how many circuit sailors would club race more if they could get a better "club" crew (A vicious circle as so many now have solos as second boats - I know I do)
eric_c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote eric_c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 21 at 8:47am
Originally posted by JimC

Some people leave their 'home' club as students

Many if not most clubs have country, social or or distance type membership options which are typically much cheaper than even student memberships, don't allow sailing and don't require duties either but do provide the required chain of authority to comply with RRS.

There are many real solutions to the imaginary problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567