FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RS200 Nationals - Clubs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RS200 Nationals - Clubs
    Posted: 23 Aug 21 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by H2

When I was young we were all members of "Stoney-bridge Corinthians" and used to put it down as our club. As far as I know the club never existed,

AFAICS if you agreed you were all members then it existed. I don't believe there's any law that says clubs have to be registered somewhere. Don't most clubs start with people at a bar?

What I would have a problem with would be people claiming to be members of a club when they are not, be it Lower Snoring Tiddlywinks Club or the Royal Yacht Squadron.

Edited by JimC - 23 Aug 21 at 2:29pm
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 21 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by KazRob

Originally posted by H2

When I was young we were all members of "Stoney-bridge Corinthians"

Stoneybridge Corinthian Yacht Club came out of a few Scottish sailors who travelled down south to sail more than they sailed at home at the time. Stoneybridge was a reference to the Absolutely comedy show on C4. The Corinthian Yacht Club bit was some gentle mocking of some higher class YCs from lowly dinghy sailors from small clubs.

Some people got worked up about it but a lot of fuss over what was a bit of harmless fun IMO.

Well that makes sense - I was at Edinburgh and spent way too much time with the various members of the Scottish Uni team racing teams from across the various Scottish Unis!
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
Gordon 1430 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gordon 1430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 21 at 3:24pm
In the past we had two sailors who always put down Lee on Solent SC until we wrote to them asking for their membership.
They had never been members to my knowledge and frankly we thought it was rude.
Gordon
Phantom 1430
Sailerf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sailerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 21 at 7:34am
As a member of an affiliated class association to the Rya there is no further requirement to be a member of a sailing club. Why can we not just be happy people are turning up and supporting events, there appear to be some very sad lonely individuals on this forum.   
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 21 at 12:00pm
Off to find some friends
Robert
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 21 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by Sailerf

As a member of an affiliated class association to the Rya there is no further requirement to be a member of a sailing club. Why can we not just be happy people are turning up and supporting events, there appear to be some very sad lonely individuals on this forum.   
Sad lonely individuals for wondering whether all these 200 sailors are actually members of a model yacht club? Sad for wondering whether any of them are members of an actual dinghy sailing club? 
To me it is sad and lonely (and immature) not to be, not to want to be, or not to want to admit to be, a member of a 200 club if you race 200 competitively.

Also looking through Clapham Model YC’s results these hot shot 200 sailors are crap model yachters.  None of them seem to have placed a result in the last few years of races. 
Paramedic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 21 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by Sailerf

With my pedant hat on, which class associations are affiliated other than RYA and WS administered classes?

(I am also a supporter of club membership, I think the proliferation on no-club nomads is very unhealthy for the sport. Unfortunately money talks and the proliferation of open winter sailing is negating the need for a club base - something we may well rue in years to come. I don't blame the people, it suits their needs. I blame the sport for making it possible.)
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 21 at 10:15pm
A CA needs to be RYA affiliated to exhibit at the dinghy show. Its not very expensive, the vast majority are.
eric_c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote eric_c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 21 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by JimC

A CA needs to be RYA affiliated to exhibit at the dinghy show. Its not very expensive, the vast majority are.

Do you remember the spat between the 505 boys and the RYA on that subject when RS were treated as a 'class assocaition' before having sold any boats? Happy Daze......

robin34024 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote robin34024 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 21 at 6:39am
Thats because they're obviously not members there.

I think its a good laugh personally. They're highlighting an archaic and outdated requirement, and having fun whilst doing it. After all, what reason would someone who's at uni, skint, and only sails on the circuit have to join a sailing club?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>