FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Watching the Tokyo Races

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
ohFFsake View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ohFFsake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Watching the Tokyo Races
    Posted: 05 Aug 21 at 3:50pm
Good point by iGrf about allowing kinetics on boards so racing can go ahead on schedule.

Does make me wonder what's going to happen in future Olympics when all the old fashioned boats have been replaced with glamorous foilers, but the wind doesn't blow...

PeterV View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 21 at 3:16pm
I joined Discovery to watch (and immediately cancelled so I don’t pay next month) but was still disappointed at the coverage.  Discovery selected which races to cover each day and there’s no coverage of the other races.  
I agree about the 470 pumping, it’s a type of sailing none of us can relate to.  I think the Finn is different, because the reality is that, done properly, it’s not much different to the one pump per wave already allowed under Rule 42 and this was well demonstrated and explained on the down winds of the Finn medal race.
As to what happens to the Finn now (and I own 2), not sure.  
PeterV
Finn K197, Finn GBR564, GK29
Warsash
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 21 at 2:57pm
It's a difficult question. It was pretty much our decision back in the Mistral class to permit pumping, because at the time our sponsor, quite rightly expected an event to happen and they wanted it to start at 12 noon on the saturday come what may. So I expect it is with lots of sports that accept the Kings Shilling so to speak.

As a spectator I totally agree with you, but on the other hand by pumping the event went ahead. Not sure the same can be said of 470s, they don't necessarily have to pump unless it's a total drifter.

Pumping a board is as atheletic a skill as rowing and trust me racing windsurfers are often as fit if not fitter than rowers as I recall they found out in Athens.

Dinghy sailing still suffers the same hypocrisy that windsurfing had when we took that decsion, the fact is at the front of any fleet its always kinetic and I've been dinghy sailing now long enough to have witnessed this first hand, y'all however pretend it isn't and turn a blind eye or favour some whilst penailisng others.

Whilst I accept what Mike (Cirrus) says that it killed the sport, I don't believe that's true, there were lots of other reasons, not least the take up by the RYA of teaching a planing only pathway, refusal to allot boards yardsticks, closure of multiple schools by RYA 'inspectors' with vested interests of their own amongst many other reasons.

Edited by iGRF - 05 Aug 21 at 2:59pm
rich96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rich96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 21 at 2:25pm
It makes a sport that can be (to non sailors) pretty dull look dull and also ridiculous

The 470s look so fantastic when its breezy (as do the boards)- this pumping ruins it

It will be interesting to see if the Finn class drops the pumping rule now that the full timers will all pack up ?
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 21 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by rich96

All in all a great regatta

I wish they bin the ridiculous 470 upwind pumping though -it looks terrible

The windsurfer upwind pumping is bad enough

Especially when they can't do it properly at Olympic level.
ohFFsake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ohFFsake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 21 at 9:37am
Seem to recall it was Stu Bithell that made that into a thing, then everyone else followed.

Also seemed like free pumping was being allowed at much lower wind strengths than looked to be the case in the past. I seem to recall the threshold was 10kts and it didn't look to be anything like that in the 470 medal race
rich96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rich96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 21 at 5:28pm
All in all a great regatta

I wish they bin the ridiculous 470 upwind pumping though -it looks terrible

The windsurfer upwind pumping is bad enough

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 21 at 10:45am
Just watched the final medal race live, on a phone, in a campervan in a field. Not that inaccessible?
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 21 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by iGRF

Well got to take my hat off to the 49er crew and the Finn Guy, one of the daughters of darkness showed me how to operate the red button which pulls up lots of action from various days, so I'll get to watch those medal races at least. I gather the 49ers literally went to the wire.

About time they got some results in that class the money they've been chucking at it down the years and I even recognise a name Stew/Stu Bithell? Seem to remember him from previous classes can't think which, but good on him just the same and whoever the other guy is.
Five years of Team GBR sailing is still less the one footballers haircut 
Tink
https://tinkboats.com

http://proasail.blogspot.com
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 21 at 8:56am
Well got to take my hat off to the 49er crew and the Finn Guy, one of the daughters of darkness showed me how to operate the red button which pulls up lots of action from various days, so I'll get to watch those medal races at least. I gather the 49ers literally went to the wire.

About time they got some results in that class the money they've been chucking at it down the years and I even recognise a name Stew/Stu Bithell? Seem to remember him from previous classes can't think which, but good on him just the same and whoever the other guy is.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>