FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Volunteering - what have you been up to?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Volunteering - what have you been up to?
    Posted: 01 Jun 21 at 12:06pm
Following Marks latest newsletter lets guilt trip each other, I guess we probably all do our bit on here, but maybe a discussion about the usual issues, finding more volunteers, volunteers over paid club officials (doesn't happen in my world but does elsewhere I'm sure).

So having found my lake membership cost has tripled in recent times with the promise that everything will be so much better, I still found myself part of a pot hole filling brigade last weekend. I've done 3 dutys at the sea club and probably dutied more than I've sailed recently. Covid and increased costs have wrecked both club sailing sections and we're struggling to rebuild, so getting enough bodies just to form a competition group is bad enough, never mind finding capable dutymen/women. Our race officer this sunday was a lady in her mid to late eighties, struggling with a suspect race management system that should be automatic but now and again just doesn't (the joys of a windoze operating system.)

Let me put it this way, it aint getting any easier finding capable volunteers.

Edited by iGRF - 01 Jun 21 at 12:07pm
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 21 at 10:16am
Very difficult series of questions, we either do the same as we have always done, or, try something else.
Volunteers will carry on doing what they do, or, do more, or, give it up.
Advertising, your work place notice board, local papers, schools and universities, community centres, that type of thing, bring a friend day, talk to people walking round your lake, give them leaflets, offer to take them round the lake, have your guest buoyancy aids outside ready to use.
Robert
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 21 at 10:43am
I fully buy into promoting the sport and club activities to ensure that anyone interested in sailing and even better, racing, have no barriers to access to the sport, I am not quite so convinced that trying to interest anyone who is not really up for it is really going to be that productive.

I suspect that the key to running a club with volunteers is in engendering a positive atmosphere, if volunteers think that they are doing something positive then they will take some satisfaction from it, especially if there is some positive social interaction.  It is probably also important to find roles that a volunteer is comfortable with.

As far as racing is concerned, there is a danger as the OP said, of over complicating the race management process so that volunteers run away, so if you have an automated system, make sure that it doesn't scare off the 80 year old lady PRO ... ultimately the job is blowing a hooter and pulling up some flags.  

Happy to do this on my own, a volunteer built a wooden dias attached to the flag pole so that the hooter, flags, pencil, paper and clock are all within an arms reach.

The real danger for any racing club is when the number of active sailing members drops below the critical mass to run racing even at a skeleton level, at which point too many duties become a chore ... maybe at that stage a reduction in the sailing calendar or some consolidation in the number of clubs might be the only way forward.

In a previous discussion it was suggested that changing from formal racing to more informal/no racing transformed the success of a club, I guess where there are several clubs then some niche marketing targeted at families and training can work.
Happily living in the past
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 21 at 11:41am
Have any of you also noticed more of a reluctance to risk(covid) amongst the less gung ho racers?

One of the other things I ended up volunteering for was publicty for the lake and I had plans to try my seniors (mature empty nesters) ploy, but they, even though many are fully vaccinated, remain the most reluctant to engage. This combined with the fact the least likely to entertain something that is as what shall I say, less exciting/action sporting, i.e. the young, is making things even more difficult.

It worries me wether we're ever going to bounce back, even after June 21st.

Edited by iGRF - 02 Jun 21 at 11:42am
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 21 at 11:41am
Bartley green sailing club, which is not far from me, appear to be doing well, this is a very large club though, they have a large modern club house, bar, dining etc, not my cup of tea, I prefer 'Last of the summer wine' type clubs, but if there wasn't one, I would go to a big club, sure to be a barmy bunch I can join or start.
The more aggressive racing would be nice for a change.
Robert
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 21 at 11:43am
Originally posted by 423zero

Bartley green sailing club, which is not far from me, appear to be doing well, this is a very large club though, they have a large modern club house, bar, dining etc, not my cup of tea, I prefer 'Last of the summer wine' type clubs, but if there wasn't one, I would go to a big club, sure to be a barmy bunch I can join or start.
The more aggressive racing would be nice for a change.

We're very much last of the summer wine, but regrettably the wine is running out.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 21 at 11:52am
Not sure if this year will show the future, people appear to be in hibernation, waiting to see what happens.
Robert
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 21 at 1:29pm
Both my home (Leigh & Lowton) and holiday (caravan site based) clubs seem pretty healthy, maybe a few more "help with duties' emails from L&L* but both have well established memberships and seem to be getting good numbers on the water.

* I'm looking from an ordinary members PoV at L&L
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Riv View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Riv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 21 at 2:39pm
We run a club WhatsApp group, and promote it as much as possible.It allows us to put out calls for help and mostly they get answered.
This year has been difficult, unless members were within walking or cycling distance they were unwilling to drive, having the usual working parties with 5+ people was out. So this year really only about 8 people on the exec committee have been active. We are all feeling a bit burnt out.
Mistral Div II prototype board, Original Windsurfer, Hornet built'74.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 21 at 6:52pm
Griff, I know young people who are barmy/eccentric, so I think we jokers have a future
Robert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>