FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RS Sailing announces new RS200 Builder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
H2 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Today at 8:56am
Originally posted by Chris_H

Originally posted by L192444

Originally posted by Daniel Holman

Of the small to medium sized boatbuilders to have ever built glass fibre boats under subcontract to RS, only one is still trading as far as I am aware. There is your clue.
I wish mr Gingerboats all the best.
Not sure how many 200 are being built per year, maybe 20? You can build a 200 with 2 guys.
Of the £13.5k that an rs200 costs, a substantial part of that is “rs tax,” of which some but not all will pay for glossy ads and glamorous lifestyle regattas. the guy who moulds the hulls will be tied down to a fixed number of man hours. Materials for rs200 hull are a few hundred quid, and it is open mould polyester csm with coremat so not high tech by any stretch. Rs200 and 400 are a fair bit less exotic than 700/800/300/aero which are epoxy foam sandwich vac bag.
Bahia etc are rotor moulded which is a different kettle of fish, about 10% of the man hours of a glass fibre boat and low material cost. Much higher initial investment in tooling to be amortised though.

How many man hours to mould and fit out an RS 200?

There is hardly any fittings so once tooled up that can't take more than a few hours ... so how long to mould a hull & deck and glue them together?

Trying to work out the break down of the cost to build a boat and relate it to the selling price without taking in to account the manufacturer 'other' overhead is a pointless exercise. Some manufacturs are purely builders - pile em high sell em cheap, dont support the class or fleet - (I am think thinking of LPE here). Other manufacturers such as RS, pour in a ton of money, and I am sure it is a whole ton of it, to market, demo, supply boats free of charge for various events, boat shows, new boat development, supporting class championships etc etc. At the end of the day, some of that cost is built in to the selling price. Its gotta come from somewhere. This is one of the reasosn why RS is so big and successful - they invest it back in to the base in order to support it and grow. There will be other manufacters who do what they can within their capabilities but will never be able to pour in the investment needed to make the class really grow. I really like the H2, and it deserves to be more prolific than it already is, but Hadron dont have that input that RS do (as an example but due respect to Hadron). I am sure someone will point out exceptions, but lets not associate breakdown of building costs to selling price directly without some form of other consideration.

FYI - complete boat no extras:
RS200 - £11550
Hadron H2 - £10,650
Not so far apart - one has 3 sails, the other has just 1

I would love to see what would happen to the H2 if it had the marketing budget and resources behind it but weirdly a small part of the appeal to me is that it does not. I popped in to see the latest one come out the molds last weekend and had a chat with the builder about the spec for my new one due end of April and where I wanted fittings and what colours to go for. Its a bespoke product. Its also made out of carbon which is alot more expensive than what the RS200 is made out of, so the fact that one has three sails made in Thailand and one is hand made from carbon with a sail made in Birmingham is not really a similar comparison in my view. H2 looks cheap to me!
H2 #115
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Today at 10:19am
Say 'Hand made' rather than cheap, all that glitters is not gold.
Robert
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Today at 1:22pm
Is it the marketing budget, or is it the limited size of the market?

Let's say the H2 suddenly halved in price and they could ramp up the production, are there double the number of potential customers out there?

What's more, who is even trying to find out?

These Independant builders, should long ago have combined their resources, hired a marketing outfit to find out.
jaydub View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote jaydub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Today at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Daniel Holman

Materials for rs200 hull are a few hundred quid, and it is open mould polyester csm with coremat so not high tech by any stretch.
Soon to be vinylester assuming the class vote goes through.  As the only options are either reamin with a resin infusion build and change the resin to vinylester or to reamin with polyester resin but with a hand/wet layup process, I can't see the vinylester change being voted down.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234