FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RYA Virtual Dinghy Show/

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Grumpycat View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Grumpycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RYA Virtual Dinghy Show/
    Posted: 28 Feb 21 at 11:53pm
Err Red paddle 10’6” or even a 10’8 SUP is not or ever will ever be a dinghy . And I say this a man who has red 10’8” sitting in it bag in the corner of his bedroom together with two British moth sails  LOL
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 21 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Grumpycat

Err Red paddle 10’6” or even a 10’8 SUP is not or ever will ever be a dinghy . And I say this a man who has red 10’8” sitting in it bag in the corner of his bedroom together with two British moth sails  LOL

Kind of the point. Sailing clubs are expanding their remit to bring in a new generation of sailors. Adding SUP, open water swimming and whatever else to what sailing clubs offer could keep the sport alive.

Otherwise, yes, the Aero appears to have hit the spot with many sailors.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 21 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Rupert

Enjoyed looking at Streakers, though they didn't go very old on their whizz through designs (no kit boats at all), or wood hulls of any sort.

Connect to Coaching was really good, nice triple act. Coaching going in a great direction for clubs, now.

Dougal and 70 years of boats...I even agreed with some of them!

Well, 505, Fireball, simply classics, would have won any decade. Split away somewhat after that! Laser, well head says yes, but heart, for the UK, says Topper. 80s, just ignore it, B14 very niche, Laser 2 a 70s boat. Even designed in the 70s, if it took a year to get over here. 90s, 49er, surely? Blew everything else away. 2000s, the Feva revitalised junior sailing. 2000s, Red Paddle 10'6" SUP.

Was interested to hear Dougals answer at the end as to which of the boats he saw as his favourite!
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 21 at 9:58am
Originally posted by tink

Well that was disappointing, I appreciate it’s the first year but... joined a talk and it wasn’t as billed all ‘how did you cope with lockdown’ Sunny day so got on with other stuff as it looked like I could watch other talks later. Come in now and there doesn’t seem like I can replay, at the moment, sure they will be released in the future. Found the interface clunky and just searching easier. Not that many classes had stands and most just linked to their website. The notable exception was the Streaker stand which had the thing I go to the show for, video tour of a latest boat and then a more upgraded club racer boat. Well done the Streakers. So 5/10 for the effort given the circumstances. 

We put in weeks of work into making videos for this event rather than just linking to our website, they can be found here (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnx2vHd-coOFWqBnXYB4rmQ/videos) if you are interested. Will be interested to see the stats from the RYA as to the number of visitors to our CA stall at the show but I think we had more than 500 views of the materials we made for the event.
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 21 at 10:24am
One issue I had is that popping onto a stand and chatting to the person there even if you are just shooting the breeze feels natural. Clicking on the chat button when not actually interested in joining the fleet, just liking the boat, doesn't feel quite right.

But on the other hand, I didn't get distracted chatting and miss all the talks so that's a plus!

Looking forward to a real show next year, fingers crossed.
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 21 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by H2

Originally posted by tink

Well that was disappointing, I appreciate it’s the first year but... joined a talk and it wasn’t as billed all ‘how did you cope with lockdown’ Sunny day so got on with other stuff as it looked like I could watch other talks later. Come in now and there doesn’t seem like I can replay, at the moment, sure they will be released in the future. Found the interface clunky and just searching easier. Not that many classes had stands and most just linked to their website. The notable exception was the Streaker stand which had the thing I go to the show for, video tour of a latest boat and then a more upgraded club racer boat. Well done the Streakers. So 5/10 for the effort given the circumstances. 

We put in weeks of work into making videos for this event rather than just linking to our website, they can be found here (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnx2vHd-coOFWqBnXYB4rmQ/videos) if you are interested. Will be interested to see the stats from the RYA as to the number of visitors to our CA stall at the show but I think we had more than 500 views of the materials we made for the event.

Went back in and looked at H2 - clearly a lot of effort has gone into your stand. H2s are truly lovely boats and having seen then sail well a true thoroughbred (Nick Craig narrowly dipping my stern in his new one was heart on mouth moment- one of the last sailors before lockdown) what out of interest is the minimal crew weight?
Tink
https://tinkboats.com

http://proasail.blogspot.com
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 21 at 6:16pm
Thanks Tink - we were happy to see that over 700 people had viewed our videos which justified some of the effort! In our fleet the lightest helms are 70kg and the heaviest is 95kg (me) - from talking to Jim Hunt the rig was designed around 13 stone but the hull carries weight really well as its very wide and the lighter guys can depower with a powerful kicker and the ability to rake the rig whilst going upwind. I wish I was around 82kg!
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 21 at 8:40am
Went and had a quick look at the H2, too. Nice selection of things to watch, and hopefully they will get many more views as a stand alone set of promo videos.

Sadly, the Harrier is more in my price bracket.
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 21 at 10:53am
We just had the stats in from the RYA and we got 999 views of our videos which is a great outcome!
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
Wiclif View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wiclif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 21 at 5:38pm
The comment “may still be viewed for the next 30 days meant that my viewing after 5pm last night will have pushed you over the 1000 mark.  Well done
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>