FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bike Thread Anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bike Thread Anyone?
    Posted: 14 Jan 21 at 10:19am
It happens on other forums when they get bored or run out of the principle subject matter, anyone ride bikes? With or without motors? Dinghy Sailors often go as far as to own Bike companys, (the Pedal Type) and lots of us ex windsurfers ride ATBs and Motorbikes, I've got a couple of Scramblers..
Can post pics if anyones interested, swap notes?
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 21 at 11:05am
I have an electric shopping bike which I ride to work on nice days. When there is work...
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 21 at 11:32am
Full downhill spec bike, x country full sus, race bike. Motor bike. I feel embarrassed sometimes by my possessions, kayaks, boats, all the gear to go with all the equipment, just spent £600 on a pair of motorbike boots. I suppose it keeps people in work.
Robert
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 21 at 11:36am
Why not. 
Done a heck of a lot more cycle hours than sailing hours over the last 12 months.
One beneficial side effect, much better leg endurance for trapezing the Contender (only sailed two person with my wife a few times, regular crew different household) especially for those playful free reaches when balancing on rear quarter deck.

Carbon XC HT MTB mostly on the haul roads and bridleways of our Forestry England neighbour.
edit add. Snowboard & boots off eBay for self taught back country riding from home.

Edited by Do Different - 14 Jan 21 at 11:41am
Mozzy View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 21 at 12:15pm
I've found road cycling to be pretty good partner to sailing. I hate sailing in no wind, but that's when road cycling is best!

I like the MTB too and would probably ride that over the roadie, except the hassle of cleaning muddy bikes. I just ride a hardtail cross country bike, seems the best tool for the job of covering miles in the South Downs. 

iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 21 at 12:57pm
I fell into the Electric Mountain Bike Trap last winter with a Whyte 150RS and feel dirty everytime I use it, but at least the family building them have great Dinghy heritage, Derek Farrant was a 505 World Champion and Guy Farrant who now owns and runs Whyte Bikes had a lot of Dinghy success that he's too modest to trumpet, but it was thanks to him I got into Dinghy Sailing at the hands of his loaned MPS and don't forget Orange was Lester Nobles company another fine dinghy sailor.

As to the Electric Bike if as I did you use ATBs for exercise, don't do it, they are the spawn of Satan.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 21 at 1:16pm
Still articulating your joints, you don't have to kill yourself to gain fitness.
Robert
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 21 at 1:43pm
eBikes akin to crack cocaine; once tried a hard habit to kick?

I've swapped to one briefly on a hilly ride, had to give it back smartish, I daren't trust myself  Evil Smile

No judgement though, live and let live. After all I sail a Contender for fun because I'm too lazy to hike a Laser. 

Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 21 at 2:10pm
I currently have an old Orange G3 'bitsa' hard-tail mountain bik ae, Merida road bike, a very old Saracen Kili Flyer magnesium frame single speed I built using spare bits from when I sold my original '90s Orange Clockwork. Before that I had a Tushingham mountain bike from before Lester Noble left to form Orange (I also raced with Tushingham sails in my Div 1 and early Raceboard days). I was out on the G3 yesterday for a couple of hours. Back in the day I had various motorcycles but sold my last one in the mid '80s.

I still have some windsurfing kit and sail it occasionally, a kayak, snowboard, a couple of kites (but I sold the kite moubntain board) and a 4.5m 50HP RIB (in my defence it's because my wife likes it...).

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 14 Jan 21 at 2:13pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Chris_H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 21 at 2:28pm
I have a full carbon e-road bike - an Orbea Gain M20 2019. Its a fab bike to ride with or without the motor on. The motor is set purely for mild hill assistance up a steep hill nearby. Pre-Covid, I used it to commute the 8 miles each way to the office and the occassional leisurely ride out. I try not to be a Mamil ....

People need to get over the 'electric' bit. If it gets more people riding, then thats a good thing. They arn't electric mopeds after all

I also have the bike mounted on a Saris Fluid 2 indoor smart trainer for those crappy weather days - like all the time at the moment.

Edited by Chris_H - 14 Jan 21 at 2:36pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>