FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Race course design

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Race course design
    Posted: 28 Nov 20 at 4:57pm
Sandwell Valley sailing club West brom'.
Bouys 1, 2, 3 and 4, going from 4 to 1 water very shallow to starboard, doesn't take much to run around.
Robert
GaryUngless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GaryUngless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 20 at 7:29pm
I have now enabled a jpeg file loader. So you can have any background
 I think this is your course at Sandwell.  The marks actually show up on Google maps, so I placed the marks on top of them
Granite View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Granite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 20 at 9:32am
Looks interesting, is there a way to link to location so you can send the RIB crew to the right place to set the mark?

If it doesn't break it's too heavy; if it does it wasn't built right
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 20 at 10:42am
Very good, marks are slightly out of place, fishermen tend to catch them and drag them out of position, plus storms. 5, 6 and 7 are inline when you look along them from the jetty when we put them in their proper places, 7 is nearer end of jetty, 5 is nearer corner.
1 is out of place and is normally further from jetty.
This course has never been used though, would be a banger race near 3 and 4, boats zigzagging up to 4 would run into boats reaching across to 5, looks exciting though.

Edited by 423zero - 29 Nov 20 at 10:43am
Robert

Post Options Post Options   Quote GaryUngless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 20 at 11:09am
Robert.

Give it a try.  The image creation using Google maps is very easy.  You will need to edit the image The image can then be uploaded and is stored in the browser cache.  The only other thing you have to enter is the width in meters of the image.   

Post Options Post Options   Quote GaryUngless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 20 at 11:16am
The App uses the geolocation on your device.  You just select the  "Location' option and a big yellow dot appears showing your  device location.  So the rib driver either takes out that device or downloads your course into his own device.  He then drives out to where the mark should be and drops it....

There is also going to be the option to export all the mark locations and upload them into a normal Google map. 

Post Options Post Options   Quote GaryUngless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 20 at 11:40am
 The App is completely free you just have to go to the web page to use it.   No login, or registration is needed. Just like Windguru.  

You can upload you own image as background, and this is stored in the browsers internal memory.  So it means it can work offline in a Committee boat or rib.  

Edited by GaryUngless - 29 Nov 20 at 11:44am
MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 20 at 2:42pm
Top marks for making sure it can work offline!

Post Options Post Options   Quote GaryUngless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 20 at 4:53pm
Thanks.  it does take some work to make it operable off line.  Everything has to be client side code.

This App will eventually be installable as a Progressive Web App.     This means that it can can be called up like any other Native App.  It is not difficult, but is is best done when the project is nearly complete.

I am still adding stuff to the Course design App.

It now gives the percentage of time spent beating, running and reaching, as well as the overall time for the course.  This varies considerably with wind speed. 

I am also adding the facility of changing the class to get a better estimate of the course time. 

You are now able to copy a course JPEG  to the clipboard, or save it as a file to your device.  You do distribute it to whom you wish.   There is also an option to publish to a web site.  But this needs a login for security 

I will not allow this App to share directly to social media.  It is straight forward code wise,  but those innocent looking social media sharing buttons, are not so innocent. Even when you don't press them they are actively seeking information about the user....

I really must get out more......
(From tomorrow I may be able to go sailing t our Club!)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12