FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fireblade - revisiting the hybrid project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fireblade - revisiting the hybrid project
    Posted: 01 Nov 20 at 5:19pm
Suspect the Express was a little more Hands On than would be appreciated today!
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Grumpycat View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grumpycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 20 at 5:34pm
Arr Express dinghy. 
Don’t think I have seen one  since the early 90s. 

423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 20 at 6:07pm
Just an example, probably work taking the finished boat around the clubs, allow people to try, if they like it, get a batch of a dozen buyers, sell them boat in kit form.
Robert
Grumpycat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grumpycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 20 at 6:44pm
Totally agree about taking the boat to sailing to as many clubs as you can. In this crowded and very conservative sailing market we have in this country the only way your can get market penetration is to to do the hard miles and do test events . 
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 20 at 6:45pm
You could probably do that with a boat like the Farr, which is a self build more often than not, but this is a bit more sophisticated hull construction. Maybe buy the hulls but decide on various rig and fit out kits and self assemble them could be a possibility.

It could also give small sail lofts an option to buy, kit out, sell and campaign the boat. Sort of a restricted class built around one hull but open rig options.

Buy the boat semi complete windsurf style and rig it to sail size guide lines

Edited by iGRF - 01 Nov 20 at 6:46pm
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 20 at 7:18pm
Hull one design, rigging, pick and mix parts bin, all parts of boat must be already in production.
Robert
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 20 at 10:50am
Originally posted by iGRF

It could also give small sail lofts an option to buy, kit out, sell and campaign the boat. Sort of a restricted class built around one hull but open rig options.

IMHO - this would be critical to domestic success.  Just think if the D-One has opened up to say, P&B and HD Sails?

Best of luck, I like the concept of the boat- and yes, a sit on in light winds which is adept to stand out when windy is a great concept.

The ownership model is interesting and facilitates a pre-income tax model for some early adopters, maybe linked to geographic pyramid distribution too? 

Anyway, I admire your enthusiasm and hope this Covid bullsh*t doesn't stop you in your tracks.
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 20 at 12:03pm
I like the ownership idea - perhaps do it so that if you buy a boat at full price and then convince others to buy you get some of your purchase price back. Local champions that convince others can be a good model.
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 20 at 5:41pm
Well, had my first 'go' in it today although in typical fashion the moment the hull kissed the water surface the wind buggered off and we were left with 0 - 3 mph which initially had me circling a couple of chums in lasers and racing away, then we had a little race in which every time I started to come from behind I discovered just how deep the plate was and found myself hooked up on the island we race round. My point of proving the best PY for it would be the same as the Laser was proven but not entirely accepted as the occasional puff would see it gather momentum quite quickly, but in all seriousness it was just a sunny jolly, marginally better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, a feel around. It's definitely a boat that's going to work best bolt upright and it's going to be tricky to keep it that way, very very sensitive to position, I didn't really even get to sit on the side, I don't think those winglets are far enough forward, but again too early to say, I also think he's over cooked the raking of the rig, in a quick sum up, great boat, not great rig and God knows where the sail came from but it's got to go.

Edited by iGRF - 04 Nov 20 at 5:43pm
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 20 at 8:30pm
All that from a no wind sail? I'd expect a more upright rig in a drift, and surely you need more wind to see what the sail is capable of?
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>