FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dinghy ID

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dinghy ID
    Posted: 30 Oct 20 at 9:16am
https://images.app.goo.gl/FvE3XsPnetrsSkQ86 (looks like a kestrel mk1)
Robert
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 20 at 10:19am
Kestral class rules with detailed measurements here http://www.kestrel.org.uk/classrules.html
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 20 at 10:53am
If its a metal board then it is probably an ancient Kestrel, 40 or 50 years old at a guess. Its a mistake to think that glass fibre boats last for ever, they do deteriorate. In addition to the glass fibre parts going soft and losing their finish, leaving fibres to give you glass fibre itch an especial killer is bits of wood in obscure, inaccessible and yet vital places that have rotted out.

It's up to you, but if I were putting the sums together (and I am no stranger to basket cases and major boat refurbishments) I would reckon that free was at least a couple of hundred quid too much. I would be surprised if you could put that boat back in good club sailing condition for as little as £600. Sails, ropes, rigging, fittings, paint, launching trolley, cover, these things all add up. And when you've spent 600 odd quid it will be worth maybe 150.

But the worst thing is the sheer frustration of sailing a life expired boat. Every time you sail it another thing goes wrong, and it's a truncated sailing day and cart it back home to fix.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 20 at 11:40am
I would add, often GRP boats from the sixties had MDF blocks not wood inserts.
Robert
John clarkson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote John clarkson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 20 at 6:38pm
Hi
Thanks for ID

Bundle of laughs on here isn't it.

I haven't got 10k for a new dinghy

So will give it a go .

I shall buy most bits pre owned
And if it's hopeless will just sell
Them.

If we get to Bob about in the estuary
All we want for now

Cheers
John

John
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 20 at 6:48pm
Hi John,
Just trying to help, both jimc and myself are members of CVRDA, which is a forum for people who sail and restore old and unusual boats. Plenty of Y&Y members are also very knowledgeable regarding repairing boats and how to get the best out of sailing any particular boat, please don't hesitate to ask for help or advice.
I would speculate that the majority of sailors don't buy £10,000 boats, has iGRF will tell you sailors are a tight fisted lot.
Robert
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 20 at 7:25pm
Hi John,

Have owned many old grp dinghies over the years. A few have been mistakes but most have been a cheap way of getting on the water. If 15 feet long suspect this is a Kestrel, as said. Good tough boats to play around in, though powerful so some care needed.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
John clarkson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote John clarkson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 20 at 7:51am
Thanks guys

I really want a wayfarer as
Like the idea of cruising.

Really want this to perfect
Sailing technique 100 meters from the club
Slipway . Last sailed 30 years ago
On an enterprise at Rutland water.
I wasn't any good then either.

The deal breaker I think for it
Is will it take a small outboard
Just to get us out of trouble
If needed. I know a lot of wayfarers
Have a little 2.5hp Honda on the back
Thanks again
John
John
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 20 at 10:50am
If you can remember handling Enterprise on shore 30 years ago, Wayfarer probably 3 times heavier, first class cruising boat, but you need to think about handling ashore.
Robert
ColPrice2002 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ColPrice2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 20 at 6:17pm
Try the Wanderer! It's a 14 ft small brother of the Wayfarer.
It's much much easier to manhandle ashore than a Wayfarer...

COlin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>