FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Britannia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 22>
Author
Chris_H View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Britannia
    Posted: 21 Dec 20 at 12:42pm
Some look back to the ‘good old days’ with large and very rose tinted specs. There was often a time differential of at least a minute in days gone by - not dissimilar to now.  Wink

Edited by Chris_H - 21 Dec 20 at 2:12pm
Oli View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 20 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by mole

I agree with all the sentiments here. Shame they have gone down the route of out and out speed to make a spectacle rather than a design that looks exciting and produces close(r) sailing. Also encourages or doesn't exclude so many contenders, although no AC campaign is cheap.

Also strange we are back to underwater appendages being the big talk, its back to the old days when the Aussies won the cup for the first time.

Amazing to see the solution and getting these craft foiling and achieving the speeds in relatively low wind speeds, but it does not make great match racing and encourage sailing participation.

It feels quite indulgent of the organisations, teams and sailors to go down this route.

If they have low wind speeds this will be a non event.
Hope Team Ineos, sort the boat and at least are able to mix it. 

Can you imagine a final coming down to the last race, the lead boat comes off it foils on the last leg with a few hundred metres to go and the chaser passes and beats them by seconds to the win and lift the cup?
That's all we will remember.

I'd rather have memories of ultra close racing amazing looking and performing craft with superb crews racing so close you can't predict what will happen.

But when has that ever been part of AC racing in recent years?

im no out and out fan of this AC, it is interesting technically, and on occasion visually and dare i say even someof the races have been ok.

but if its all light winds wont that give you the close racing that you want?

as for someone passing right at the end if someone drops off the foil, well thats part and parcel of the foiling game.  the better team didnt fall of the foil.  all sailing has an element of luck with the wind and yes its more pronunced on foils but its not changed the game.

could they have done something better with it, possibly, do they have to? no its their circus.

GarethT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 20 at 4:28pm
But when they are a kilometre apart the leader could fall off the foil in very different wind.
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 20 at 5:04pm
Well yes, but that's sailing only perhaps the jeopardy is greater in this rule set.

They could always raise the min. wind speed in the SIs from 6.5knots to 10knots which be at least getting into slightly more proper sailing breeze. Blimey after all I'm a five foot and a bit Pee Wee and I couldn't fully wire my Contender in 6.5 knots.  LOL Wink
Oli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 20 at 6:44pm
Yep that’s the risk by having boats with such huge deltas in performance is guess. I’ve lots events in races where when leading the wind shut off and comes in from behind and the fleet came back with it and ruined our chances. Ship happens. I’ve also been on the other side of those flukes. Is it annoying? Definitely but it’s part of the game when you have to deal with the elements as the power source.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 20 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by Chris_H

Some look back to the ‘good old days’ with large and very rose tinted specs. There was often a time differential of at least a minute in days gone by - not dissimilar to now. 

I once tried to establish how many place changes there had been after the first windward mark in the 12m era. It was not going to be a large number...
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 20 at 3:18pm
Grumpycat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grumpycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 20 at 7:16pm
This did make me smile when I saw this the first time .
 Yes probably the boat is a dog, we will know for certain in a few months. 
But to comment on the backers ethics is just silly . As there  is nothing to choose between the ethics most of the main sponsors of all the syndicates 
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 20 at 9:45pm
I'm sure there have been many evil capitalists paying for AC boats. Not sure who else could afford to. This particular one sticks in my craw.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
rich96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rich96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 20 at 11:32am
I'm quite surprised just how close the other 3 boats are so far - almost decent racing at times

The AC organisers need to stop changing the rules/boats each event - it just leads to one team being very good, a few being ok and some being way off the pace

No doubt some is down to the designers but there's got to be a degree of luck too
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 22>