FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1st October - sports clubs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
Sussex Lad View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sussex Lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1st October - sports clubs
    Posted: 07 Nov 20 at 10:47am
I think the jury is out on that issue 423, and I certainly don't need your apology. Lack of contagion in primary aged children? it's possibly the case but not certainly the case. Secondary aged children? they don't know either way.....as far as I can work out.

Uncertainty is a big problem. Ordinary folk want the experts to sound definite and the experts, once their proclamations have been filtered through the media, seemingly oblige......in reality facts are in short supply. It's a dangerous situation and we need info to work out our own personal strategies.

Some ordinary folk will only deal with facts and scorn anything else, other more imaginative folk will in the absence of facts indulge in a bit of chat and speculative discussion, they'll sound out others, swap opinions, spot possible strategies and gauge feelings. The second group will always have access to more useful info...... IF they have the common sense to apply filters. It takes a bit more brain power but I know most on this forum have that ability. 

My strategy is forget sailing until the new year. Dragging boats around on shingle without winches, getting changed in the back of a cold van and driving home with a salty chuff is not my cuppa. Clubs and individuals need to toe the line and be seen to toe the line......mind you, if this goes on past April I shall be revolting.  Wink

Edited by Sussex Lad - 07 Nov 20 at 11:11am
Paramedic View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 20 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by 423zero

I must apologise to the group, children do drive the flu, but apparently not covid.

I don't think its a terrible assumption to make :)

What is odd given the above are the university outbreaks, but I suppose there is a world of difference to a school with reasonably supervised physical distancing measures and a full Hall of `residence with everyone in each others pockets 24/7
PeterG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 20 at 2:49pm
I must apologise to the group, children do drive the flu, but apparently not covid.

I don't think there is evidence for that. Some receent studies appear to show that older (2ndry age) children can play a large role in covid infections. It does seem less clear for younger children, but even there I think it's necessary to be careful. 
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
rich96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rich96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 20 at 3:00pm
This week I spoke to a primary school teacher who said attempting to keep the kids apart is impossible - herding squirrels. She was positive that if any child was infected it would have torn through all the other kids and their parents

Another said that at the start of the autumn term the teachers were all tested and found to be negative but most tested positive for the anti bodies

The most interesting one was from an alleged SAGE advisor who said that they and the government are fully aware that, whilst not suffering unduly, young kids spread this like everyone else

It will be interesting to see if the 'lockdown' (which is a pretty poor version of a lockdown) has any effect at all whilst schools are still open?

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 20 at 3:49pm
Pretty sure it will have an effect,( after all, we sailors must be super spreaders) just not as big as needed.

Walked past 2 riding stables today. Both had lessons going on.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 20 at 4:01pm
My local shopping area was packed yesterday afternoon, only hairdressers and barbers shut, everything was for sale, the off licence was also open, (mind if you were alcoholic, I suppose it's essential).
Robert
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 20 at 4:55pm
As there is no sailing going for a canoe tomorrow. It also has a sail so if there was any wind I could sail it also as BCU is allowing canoeing. As international canoes are also covered by the BCU I believe their value has sky rocketed. 
Tink
https://tinkboats.com

http://proasail.blogspot.com
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 20 at 6:16pm
https://www.bhs.org.uk/advice-and-information/coronavirus-covid-19/england/riding-schools-lockdown-2
Surprising.
Robert
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 20 at 8:49pm
https://www.bhs.org.uk/advice-and-information/coronavirus-covid-19/england/riding-schools-lockdown-2 Surprising.

Yes but a not unreasonable interpretation of the rules. Shame the same interpretation is not possible for the young dancers my wife is training towards a professional career.

Originally posted by 423zero

the off licence was also open, (mind if you were alcoholic, I suppose it's essential).

I'm not but it is  LOL

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 07 Nov 20 at 8:55pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Sussex Lad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sussex Lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 20 at 8:53pm
.....medicinal.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>