FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Solo - why Winder?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solo - why Winder?
    Posted: 14 Sep 20 at 10:21pm
I know there is a bit of a wall of silence on these things but I’m curious.  Everyone says good things about all the builders but ultimately the vast majority of Solo sailors buy a Winder. Why is that? Are they cheaper?

Boatyard@Beer, Ovington and P&B all have good reputations in the wider sailing community but fight for scraps in the land of Solos... what gives?

Edited by A2Z - 14 Sep 20 at 10:21pm
davidyacht View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 20 at 6:43am
I shall raise my head above the parapet In support of Winder Solos ... well engineered product which is constantly being improved, choice of two successful proven shapes, constant supply not in batches, active in the class, support the class, prepared to tweak/customize, fair price, good residuals, nice people.

In fairness to the other builders, I don’t think that there is much wrong with any of the builders that you mention, there is little in the performance or quality of the build, but Winders were there first in the market with a winning FRP product and are more established.  

My approach is that unless a supplier messes up, they have my loyalty ... hence I have had five Winder Solos.
Happily living in the past
GarethT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 20 at 6:46am
Out of interest, why 5? Are you going back decades, Solos have a competitive life of X years,or you just like shiny things?
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 20 at 8:37am
Because the residual values for Solos are high relative to the replacement cost, I replace every two or three years, and I suspect the depreciation cost is around £ 500* each year , which is not bad considering I sail most weeks.  *man maths!  

There are quite a few that do this and it doesn't hurt the class to have a steady supply of not quite new boats.

Worth bearing in mind that the Solo that won the Nations Cup last year was a Winder 1 and around 10 years old.
Happily living in the past
Mark Aged 42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mark Aged 42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 20 at 8:53am
Out of curiousity, there seems to be a steady supply of older Holt Solos on eBay. Are these likely to be hopelessly heavy, or uncompetitve shapes?
GarethT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 20 at 11:00am
Originally posted by davidyacht

Because the residual values for Solos are high relative to the replacement cost, I replace every two or three years, and I suspect the depreciation cost is around £ 500* each year , which is not bad considering I sail most weeks.  *man maths!  
There are quite a few that do this and it doesn't hurt the class to have a steady supply of not quite new boats.
Worth bearing in mind that the Solo that won the Nations Cup last year was a Winder 1 and around 10 years old.

Makes sense. Europe class could definitely do with a pipeline of good used boats like that.
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 20 at 11:15am
they are lovely guys to deal with... it feels like a proper piece of craftmanship when you pick one up.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 20 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Mark Aged 42

Out of curiousity, there seems to be a steady supply of older Holt Solos on eBay. Are these likely to be hopelessly heavy, or uncompetitve shapes?

Older GRP solos have a reputation for being soft/flexible/not stiff but overweight and the joints between the tanks and hull are often weak or failing. Basically, before the introduction of FRP fibreglass was a poor material to build boats designed for plywood. GRP works well with 3D curves but not with large flat panels. If you want a cheap, competitive (well, fairly competitive at club level), old Solo then a good wooden boat is the only way to go.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Late starter View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Late starter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 20 at 12:44pm
I had quite a nice looking GRP composite Solo a few years back and my experience was also that it wasn't a quick boat. A pal of mine had a half decent wooden boat of similar age and value and it was way quicker, so I agree with Sam.

ian.r.mcdonald View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 20 at 5:45pm
I bought a new grp composite Solo ( last century)

I was unhappy with it, it was slow.

Jim Hunt offered to help and I took it for him to sail in a very competitive club fleet. He won both races. And he hadn't made any changes.

I wonder how?

And yes, the wooden double floor ones are way faster!

Edited by ian.r.mcdonald - 15 Sep 20 at 5:46pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>