FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which dinghy for sailing with a child?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which dinghy for sailing with a child?
    Posted: 21 Sep 20 at 10:23am
Sails look new, I have a set that we're only used for one event, then stuck in a loft, they sail well and hold their shape in all winds.
Robert
GarethT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 20 at 12:29pm
I remember taking my eldest out for the first time; 18 months old in an RS200 with my dad in a drifter.

After about a minute he started saying "go back, go back" so I thought sh*t, he hates it.

Then he walked to the back of the boat and took hold of the tiller!

20 years later mucking about on the water is still a joy my 2 boys and I share.
andymck View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote andymck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 20 at 2:30pm
Iain
I saw you out yesterday.
Breezy day

Andy
Andy Mck
Iain C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Iain C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 20 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by andymck

Iain
I saw you out yesterday.
Breezy day

Andy

What were you sailing Andy?

Yes, it was breezy, so proud of my lad that he enjoyed it...needless to say I'd have headed in immediately if he'd had enough, but he was enjoying it very much and just wanted to keep going.  I don't mind admitting that I'd have been very unhappy indeed at his age in that breeze!
RS700 GBR922 "Wirespeed"
Fireball GBR14474 "Eleven Parsecs"
Enterprise GBR21970
Bavaria 32 GBR4755L "Adastra"
andymck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote andymck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 20 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Iain C

Iain
I saw you out yesterday.
Breezy day

Andy

What were you sailing Andy?
Yes, it was breezy, so proud of my lad that he enjoyed it...needless to say I'd have headed in immediately if he'd had enough, but he was enjoying it very much and just wanted to keep going.  I don't mind admitting that I'd have been very unhappy indeed at his age in that breeze!

I was supporting others yesterday. My 2k was out, borrowed for racing,. Son was out with his mate in a feva, for club racing, they were then just swimming after lunch. We also had a couple of open Bics out, one is ours too. These were 8 year olds who are fed up of bailing opis but are too small for Teras. They love them as they can right them easily and can concentrate on sailing. My son goes out sometimes just to capsize. We sometimes have capsize races in them.

Steve TC was coaching the youth lasers who were practicing near where you were.

Andy

Edited by andymck - 21 Sep 20 at 5:57pm
Andy Mck
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 20 at 4:23pm

Iain
I saw you out yesterday.
Breezy day

Andy

Original Post:  'so I won't take him out in big winds until he's older and wants to do it.'  LOL
patj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote patj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 20 at 6:24pm
Having the right kit is the key - as long as the crew (wife or child) is warm they'll be more ready to enjoy sailing.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 20 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by patj

Having the right kit is the key - as long as the crew (wife or child) is warm they'll be more ready to enjoy sailing.

Occasionally husband/ father... had several couples or families on courses where the wife/girlfriend/daughter has been the confident one.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
skslr View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote skslr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 20 at 6:44am
These wetsuits made a big difference for sailing with our kids and their price somehow matches up with the fact that small kids outgrow them in a year or so.:
https://www.bluerushshop.co.uk/

Pulling a drysuit over their had can be a nightmare for some kids...
Iain C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Iain C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 20 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Jack Sparrow

Iain
I saw you out yesterday.
Breezy day

Andy

Original Post:  'so I won't take him out in big winds until he's older and wants to do it.'  LOL

Guilty as charged.  But he wanted to do it, and the smiles say it all!  If he'd said he'd had enough, we'd have been in in a jiffy, but we were all having too much fun!
RS700 GBR922 "Wirespeed"
Fireball GBR14474 "Eleven Parsecs"
Enterprise GBR21970
Bavaria 32 GBR4755L "Adastra"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456