FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which dinghy for sailing with a child?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 20 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Iain C

My son will be five soon, and I'm thinking about getting a boat which we can sail together.  I'm 90kg so have a lot of the weight requirement "covered", and I've sailed high performance boats for years right up to Moths and 18s, so it doesn't nesessarily have to be something really safe and boring.

I've taken him out in my Fireball when it was very light (obviously he wasn't trapezing or using the kite haha) but I want something that we can sail "properly" in reasonable breeze.  Obviously I have no desire to put him off, so I won't take him out in big winds until he's older and wants to do it.

We may wish to do the odd club pond race, but we won't yet be thinking about Nationals etc...let's see if he enjoys it first.

Needs to be fairly cheap, and ideally nothing wooden unless it's in very good order/epoxied.  I thought of the following...

N12...cute little boat but is it too tippy?
Mirror...seems a bit "obvious" and not very comfy to sail but could be good when he starts helming..
Miracle...do they all have 'orrible aft sheeting?
Tasar...is it a bit fast, and is that spanner hard work for a small child?
RS200...probably out of budget but if I found a knacker could that be an option?

Anything else?

• Graduate

• N12 - Paper Dart (wickedly fast on restricted water) - after a while move on to more modern N12s keep it for pot hunting at Henley and River Trent etc...

• Mirror - Obvious for a reason. Loved my time with Luke. Make sure its a racing spec and has a kite on it.

• Enterprise - maybe (jib might be tough at 5 years)?

• Don't get anything too tippy/performance - you'll put him off. It's not about you, it's about him.

• Don't do it buy him an old wooden Oppy.

andymck View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote andymck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 20 at 3:19pm
I have looked at this a lot
We ended up selling the N12, thought it was a DCB which was a bit much for the kids at 6
We joined the L2k band at Rutland.
Itís perfect for sailing with a kid,
Pirate battles, ice cream sails, takes the whole family and racing is very close.

Borrow one

Andy
Andy Mck
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 20 at 8:05pm
For that money, a Firefly or, for a bit more tippyness for dad, a Lark.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
andymck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote andymck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 20 at 9:36pm
Iain

Come chat to me or Steve TC next time you are at the club
Many of us are only to happy to lend out boats to experienced sailors.

Andy
Andy Mck
Mark Aged 42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mark Aged 42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 20 at 2:23pm
I started with my 2 in a 420, which was perfect. As a six footer, I had plenty of room under the boom, there was space up front for the children, option of a spinnaker, and high freeboard, so the kids sit in, not on. A cheap 420 is just a couple of hundred quid. Bargain.
rb_stretch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rb_stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 20 at 4:09pm
I actually started mine in an Albacore, but only in light winds. It gave them plenty of space to indulge in other child activities such as looking for fish or playing with the bailer. 
maxibuddah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote maxibuddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 20 at 4:13pm
How about a graduate? Thereís a Rooster one for sale on a certain facebook sales group but it is £5k
Everything I say is my opinion, honest
zeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 20 at 5:05pm

Edited by zeon - 01 Oct 20 at 1:16pm
Chris_H View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 20 at 5:46pm
I love the Firefly, I really do. I cut my teeth on it when in the school sailing team. However, it can be a bit capsizable on the run and not best for a 5yr old.  

Having said all that, I would love to own a new one ..... One of my all time fave boats (together with a 5-Oh)
sawman View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote sawman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 20 at 2:51pm
This brief has miracle written all over it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>