FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which dinghy for sailing with a child?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Iain C View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Iain C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which dinghy for sailing with a child?
    Posted: 14 Sep 20 at 4:40pm
My son will be five soon, and I'm thinking about getting a boat which we can sail together.  I'm 90kg so have a lot of the weight requirement "covered", and I've sailed high performance boats for years right up to Moths and 18s, so it doesn't nesessarily have to be something really safe and boring.

I've taken him out in my Fireball when it was very light (obviously he wasn't trapezing or using the kite haha) but I want something that we can sail "properly" in reasonable breeze.  Obviously I have no desire to put him off, so I won't take him out in big winds until he's older and wants to do it.

We may wish to do the odd club pond race, but we won't yet be thinking about Nationals etc...let's see if he enjoys it first.

Needs to be fairly cheap, and ideally nothing wooden unless it's in very good order/epoxied.  I thought of the following...

N12...cute little boat but is it too tippy?
Mirror...seems a bit "obvious" and not very comfy to sail but could be good when he starts helming..
Miracle...do they all have 'orrible aft sheeting?
Tasar...is it a bit fast, and is that spanner hard work for a small child?
RS200...probably out of budget but if I found a knacker could that be an option?

Anything else?
RS700 GBR922 "Wirespeed"
Fireball GBR14474 "Eleven Parsecs"
Enterprise GBR21970
Bavaria 32 GBR4755L "Adastra"
Oinks View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 20 at 4:52pm
Enterprise would probably tick a lot of boxes. Aft-sheeting, yes...but you'd get used to it and makes moving around in the boat with a young child a bit easier.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 20 at 4:58pm
Enterprise, you can centre/aft main it, same as Laser.
Robert
Paramedic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 20 at 5:49pm
Enterprise
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 20 at 5:54pm
My brother in law, a Musto sailor, bought a 200 for this purpose.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
GarethT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 20 at 5:59pm
Loved our mirror when the boys were that age. With a flyaway pole they were trimming the kite aged 5.

Lots of admiration from the older kids in fevas that the little boy could use a proper spinnaker!

The best thing for me is that you can go out in any wind and be safe, so my boys grew up not fearing a windy day (won the slow handicap at the club regatta in 20 plus knots with a 5 year old crew giggling all the way round!)
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 20 at 6:01pm
Dont discount the Mirror, cheap as chips and you can rig it how you like pretty much. My youngest has been sailing since she was 2 in our £300 one. Its now pretty much fully race rigged. It wont win the nationals but if/when she decides she wnts to have a go at helming more its ready for her.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
Riv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Riv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 20 at 6:40pm
Mirrors have so many advantages. In light winds he will soon be able to single hand it with the mast moved forwards. Also you can go camping in one. I used to do this with my Dad. Good fun.
Mistral Div II prototype board, Original Windsurfer, Hornet built'74.
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 20 at 7:44pm
National 12 Crusader worked for us
Happily living in the past
rich96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rich96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 20 at 6:01am
Graduate ?

Firefly ?

You cant sail a 200 or Tasar with a Five YO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>