FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best boat for ‘freestyle’ sailing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
turnturtle View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best boat for ‘freestyle’ sailing
    Posted: 11 Sep 20 at 4:38pm
So c’mon you guys.... all this talk of racing all the time; what about just dicking around on the water:

sailing backwards
standing on the foredeck
dry capsizes
taking the rudder off
paddling with a centreboard.....

What’s the best boat for all of that!?

I’d like to open the floor with the old faithful:

The Topper
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 20 at 4:44pm
As a kid it was an Oppie, then an OK (though paddling with the CB was not really an option on the OK). TBF Toppers and Lasers didn't exist back then. These days I'd agree, Topper, or a battered old Laser
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 20 at 5:28pm
Mirror.
Robert
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 20 at 5:42pm
For kids Topper, adults Laser, many hours of rudderless sailing in all sorts of weather including on my coaching course when the instructor figured it was too windy to do anything other than sail rudderless. 

This guy appears to be having some fun goofing off,

Tink
https://tinkboats.com

http://proasail.blogspot.com
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 20 at 6:31pm
My old Tonic.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
i luv wight 2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote i luv wight 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 20 at 9:04pm
Submarining in Pico is fun with kids - the kids stand in front of the mast until the bow goes under... then the boat fills up, and just about sails forwards with the hull completely underwater - tricky to keep it going ;-)
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 20 at 9:30pm
Don't be a dick.. there is only one freestyle machine, it's called a windsurfer.. get over it.
ColPrice2002 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ColPrice2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 20 at 7:57pm
Picos are fun sailing backwards!
You can submerge the transom, flood the cockpit and eventually stand the dinghy on its transom...
Peter Barton View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peter Barton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 20 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by i luv wight 2

Submarining in Pico is fun with kids - the kids stand in front of the mast until the bow goes under... then the boat fills up, and just about sails forwards with the hull completely underwater - tricky to keep it going ;-)

Pirate day at Rutland family week 2017. This was a week before our RS Aero UK Nationals at Hayling and this was my nosediving training - in case we had some testing waves there!
It was possible to sail for long periods on a reach balanced like this
Managed to get the bowgirl's head underwater and recover, although the rudder was out at that stage!

salmon80 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote salmon80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 20 at 4:05am
what about a Int canoe? i used to try to sail mine off the plank facing backwards, facing looking away from boat, standing on the plank, legs crossed buddha style....

someone tried doing a handstand once, that one didnt work  Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>