FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

OK.. Let's have it, what is the most difficult ..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
sargesail View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 20 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Iain C

In terms of the trickier boats, I've sailed 18' Skiffs, 12' Skiffs, Cherubs, foiling Moths, low-rider Moths, MPS, and am currently getting up to speed with an RS700.
But I have to agree with the OP, the 300 is a wide, slippery, counter intuitive, monumentally physical pig of a thing which seems intent on hurting you in a number of ways at any opportunity.  It's great fun up to about 5 knots, and then it just wants to kill you.  I have no idea how a boat devoid of spinnakers, trapezes, racks or hydrofoils, that is essentially the same kind of boat as a Topper can be such an arse, but somehow RS has managed to pull it off.  The comedy feature when it turns turtle and the daggerboard immediately falls out is great, as is that feature where the kicker string jumps off that pulley thing by the mast and jams solid.  Perhaps I'd just borrowed some shedded boats, but I do have a real dislike of them!

I think you’re wrong about all of those things....

But even if you weren’t they’d be reasons why I love the 300.
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 20 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by turnturtle

A known tactic from uni days was to get the other teams utterly mullered the night before.... it was strangely easy until we ventured north of the wall and got hit by SUSA drinking teams.

Oh yes....it was quite an education joining Aberdeen Uni’s SC
maxibuddah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote maxibuddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 20 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by sargesail

Originally posted by Iain C

In terms of the trickier boats, I've sailed 18' Skiffs, 12' Skiffs, Cherubs, foiling Moths, low-rider Moths, MPS, and am currently getting up to speed with an RS700.
But I have to agree with the OP, the 300 is a wide, slippery, counter intuitive, monumentally physical pig of a thing which seems intent on hurting you in a number of ways at any opportunity.  It's great fun up to about 5 knots, and then it just wants to kill you.  I have no idea how a boat devoid of spinnakers, trapezes, racks or hydrofoils, that is essentially the same kind of boat as a Topper can be such an arse, but somehow RS has managed to pull it off.  The comedy feature when it turns turtle and the daggerboard immediately falls out is great, as is that feature where the kicker string jumps off that pulley thing by the mast and jams solid.  Perhaps I'd just borrowed some shedded boats, but I do have a real dislike of them!

I think you’re wrong about all of those things....

But even if you weren’t they’d be reasons why I love the 300.

I'm with you there Sarge. I must have had a beginners one because the only time it frightened me was on a broad reach on big surf at Lyme Regis. Otherwise it was quite benign really. Well until going dead downwind in a force 6. Never really had any issues with it. Didn't frighten me as much as the D-One
Everything I say is my opinion, honest
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 20 at 5:45pm
Whether or not the 300 is 'difficult' to sail is not the question being asked though, it's more a question of what is harder to sail... any suggestions?
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
dohertpk View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote dohertpk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 20 at 7:24pm
For what it's worth, having owned both, the Musto is a bit easier than the 600 to sail. The kite obviously makes things easier offwind. Also, the ergonomics of the deck encourage you to stand up, giving you way more control. I've sailed the Waszp a good bit too. Until it's foiling and, when I sailed it on the old foil, it needed a solid 15 knots to fly, it's an absolute pig of a boat. Launching and landing the thing is a bloody palaver and, because you can't swing the tiller extension around the back as you do in a moth, the extension insists on getting stuck under the control lines through maneouvres. Give me my Musto any day.
maxibuddah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote maxibuddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 20 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

Whether or not the 300 is 'difficult' to sail is not the question being asked though, it's more a question of what is harder to sail... any suggestions?

Look at the top of the page, it literally says “what is the most difficult...”
Everything I say is my opinion, honest
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 20 at 8:15pm
Anything Aft rigged.
Robert
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 20 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by 423zero

Anything Aft rigged.

Really? Just face backwards in the tacks and kiss your ass goodbye in the gybes...
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 20 at 9:26pm
I think it all started when I was younger, in a heartbeat someone had thrust me into a brand new navy blue Wayfarer, pushed me off and waved me goodbye, has in all such scenarios, a gentle breeze turned nasty and promptly took charge of the boat.
Robert
Mozzy View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 20 at 8:46am
My leaky topper at a grafham Inlands in 20 knots+ 

Giles Scott was busy winning the races by a whole reach, meanwhile, I couldn't get downwind. The boat was half full of water, and when it rushed to the bow my 35 kilos sat at the back wasn't nearly enough to stop spoon shaped bow digging in triggering a pitch-pole. 

To add insult to injury the top section was also leaky which made the thing even hard to keep upright. 

That's definitely the hardest boat to sail I've ever been in. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>