FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thinking of buying an RS 300

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
FS_Comet_72 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote FS_Comet_72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thinking of buying an RS 300
    Posted: 07 Sep 20 at 7:57pm
Hi all, I am 6'1" and around 75-80 kilos and 14 and a half. I'm looking to buy an RS300 and want to hear your thoughts on it. I also have a couple of questions regarding it, mainly being that since i'm at the light end of the reccommended weight, would i be able to to handle it in high(ish) winds? Also, I've found a listing for one at £2000 with both rigs and it is quite close to me. Is this a good price for it?

Thanks in Advance

Edited by FS_Comet_72 - 07 Sep 20 at 8:13pm
sargesail View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 20 at 6:39am
Great price (depending on condition!).

75-80kg is a very competitive weight range. And you’re not short.

So yes you should be able to handle breeze.....but how fit are you? It’s a relatively high work load ride.

Feel free to PM me.
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 20 at 2:13pm
14 ½? Sounds like child abuse to me. Shouldn't sarge be locked up for suggesting such perversion?
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 20 at 4:03pm
Perfect age (falling in is fun as a teen), height and weight! Go for it.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
zeon View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 20 at 4:09pm
+ 1 as Rupert says , you are perfect for trying one . Go for it .

Edited by zeon - 08 Sep 20 at 4:10pm
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 20 at 6:08pm
You'll be sorry, I guarantee it.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 20 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by iGRF

You'll be sorry, I guarantee it.

Why? Chap at our club is winning races regularly in a 300 after spending time learning to sail it properly. Quick as.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 20 at 10:21pm
I was tempted by a 300 when I was looking for a singlehander. I'm glad I didn't as I believe they take more skill than I have the time to spend developing to sail well. The Blaze is an easy boat to sail, this suits me 'cos I don't sail every weekend and practice every Thursday. I can get it around the course in most conditions and enjoy my racing. If I was 14 (or, actually, under 30) and able to sail twice a week to develop the skills a 300 requires I would probably enjoy the challenge.

#FS_Comet_72, are you already a competent sailor? If not maybe the 300 is for later but if you are and if you can sail a couple of times a week or more then go for it. It looks like a seriously rewarding, and blindingly quick boat if you can master it and somebody on here said a few years ago "buying a boat is not a marriage, you can always sell it and buy something different if it doesn't work out".

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 08 Sep 20 at 10:24pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 20 at 9:46am
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 20 at 9:59am
Think it's all been said Here have I changed my opinion with the passing of years and gaining of experience? Er let me think... Nope, it ever was the Dinghy equivalent of Div 2 raceboards and even though I had some of my greatest victories on them they were horrendous and a total blind alley that did untold damage to the sport at the time, oh and of course if you coulnd't sail them, you were 'crap or a beginner.'

Edited by iGRF - 09 Sep 20 at 10:00am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>