FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aero 9

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author
H2 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aero 9
    Posted: 04 Sep 20 at 10:46am
I would be really interested to hear from Aero 9 sailors - I have heard people say that the 9 is hard to get going relative to its handicap and certainly I have often seen the 7s and 9s very close together on the water which would (possibly) imply that there is little benefit to using the 9. Last weeks nationals had a small band of 9's sign up and then they just folded into the 7 fleet so in effect there was no 9 nationals. Is there a future for the 9?
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 20 at 2:00pm
The thread from Cirrus detailing the evolution of rig on his development single hander recently suggested that the benefit of an "oversize" rig is marginal in terms of speed across the wind range and to some degree narrows the usable wind range.

Bigger is not always better?

Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 20 at 2:02pm
What does this place do to formatting?????  Cry

Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 20 at 2:45pm
Weight carrying is more a function of hull form than sail area IMO, adult sailors mostly fall in the  65-105 kg weight range but that's a large variance and a hull that works well for a 65kg lightweight is never going to work well for a 105kg big guy, and vice versa. To me the Aero looks like a lightweights boat so the big sail can't sufficiently compensate for the extra 40kg of displacement much in the same way that a Phantom is going to be an unwieldy beast for a 65kg sailor even if carrying a much smaller sail than the standard rig.  

Perhaps if any of our yacht designing contributors are reading they could chip in and point out the flaws in my reasoning?
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 20 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Do Different

What does this place do to formatting?????  Cry

From what I can see it just doesn't do formatting  Wacko
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Paramedic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 20 at 3:00pm
The Aero hull is too light for it to carry a large person. The weight of the sailor is too big a proportion of the whole package. Overpowering it isnt going to help.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 20 at 3:14pm
Didn't the 'Laser' Rooster sail die, due to similar issues? Perhaps Hull optimum weight range and extra wind resistance from larger sail, negates what would appear to be a obvious step up.
Robert
GarethT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 20 at 4:00pm
From the few I've seen, the 9s look really hard work above a 3

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 20 at 4:13pm
The Rooster 8.1 has a current PN as of 2020 so there are still a few out there. There's a guy sailing an Aero 9 and 7 at L&L, he's done ok in the Wednesday night series on the 9 but sailed the 7 on Sundays (and done ok there too). He's not a big guy though. 

The Blaze Halo and Fire (11.4 and 8.8 against the Blaze rig's 10.4) don't get much use but the Blaze rig is pretty good over a fairly wide range of conditions and sailor weights so there's not much incentive.

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 04 Sep 20 at 4:21pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 20 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

Weight carrying is more a function of hull form than sail area IMO, adult sailors mostly fall in the  65-105 kg weight range but that's a large variance and a hull that works well for a 65kg lightweight is never going to work well for a 105kg big guy, and vice versa. To me the Aero looks like a lightweights boat so the big sail can't sufficiently compensate for the extra 40kg of displacement much in the same way that a Phantom is going to be an unwieldy beast for a 65kg sailor even if carrying a much smaller sail than the standard rig.  

Perhaps if any of our yacht designing contributors are reading they could chip in and point out the flaws in my reasoning?

I think this is the answer actually. The aero hull is aimed at a lighter helm and struggles to carry the weight needed to utilise the larger sail.
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>