FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone use a Garmin watch for sailing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
GarethT View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 20 at 7:47pm
I use the Garmin data overlaid on video to give speed, heading and heart rate. Plan is to use it to work on my free pumping to get the right balance between vmg and cardiac arrest!
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 20 at 7:56pm
I know the problem, I suffered an 'episode' back in the day when racing Raceboards, sudden fatigue and runaway heart rate that took about 18 hours to settle. The doc though it was down to dehydration and over exertion. It was bloody scary at the time.

Back on topic, I have bought a Vivoactive 3 and am finding the Garmin Connect app an absolute nightmare.... TBF I've been exclusively Apple for about 10 years and brief forays into Android have not been a succes. But a long web chat with Garmin support has proved fruitless trying to make the damn thing work as I would have expected. I can record 'activities' and store them in the cloud but they default to metric and changing them on the watch doesn't change them in the phone or web apps, there is not an app for Windows/OSX so you have to use 'Garmin Express' as an intermediary. Lots of other things that don't do what I expect to. I'm pretty good with tech but this is driving me up the wall  Censored

On the plus side it seems to work ok with RaceQs

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 02 Oct 20 at 7:57pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Mozzy View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 20 at 9:03pm
Do you not have the garmin connect app on your phone? You can change metric to imperial under the user setting in there. 

Garmin express on the PC is a pile of crap. 

To be honest, garmin software, apps and website is awful. I only use it to get the info to strava via blue tooth. 

Edited by Mozzy - 02 Oct 20 at 9:03pm
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 20 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by Mozzy

To be honest, garmin software, apps and website is awful.

I have rapidly reached that conclusion. But yes I do have GC on the iPhone, still struggling with it TBH it simply doesn't have some of the options you'd expect, or they are very well hidden.

They seem obsessed with Golf too which doesn't help, about 60% of the user guide talks about Golf and the rest is pretty useless. I think when I get to grips with it and, in particular RaceQs it'll do nicely, I only want it for sailing, cycling and walking so once I can get the units right (pace in mins/km for walking? WTF is that all about  Censored) and work out how to export track data to the Macbook I'll be fine.

TBH I bought it as a more convenient replacement for my very old Etrex handheld...

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 02 Oct 20 at 9:23pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Hengest View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hengest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 20 at 7:56am
Bigger numbers is already on my list of enhancements. The text at the moment is the largest font available. I'm looking at drawing the text as images or lines. I wiill post an update on the facebook page when that is done. Strava is quite good for flybys, but not much good for any in depth analysis. There's another app http://gpsactionreplay.free.fr/ which is quite good but a bit clunky
Hengest View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hengest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 20 at 7:59am
If you download the Garmin Virb software, you can overlay any track / gpx data with any video. You don't need a Virb. I've got a cheap Go Pro clone that does quite well. Nothing like the editorial / production quality of  Mozzie's videos though

Edited by Hengest - 03 Oct 20 at 8:31am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234