FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone use a Garmin watch for sailing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
GarethT View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone use a Garmin watch for sailing?
    Posted: 05 Sep 20 at 8:51am
I’m lucky enough to have a teenage programmer in the house, so if I don’t find an app I like I’ll get him to tweak one. Will be getting him to make a Europe Class compliant one too.
maxibuddah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote maxibuddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 20 at 9:02am
Originally posted by Chris_H

Originally posted by GarethT

Which app did you use?

Garmin Connect. It also tracks and map displays your sail afterwards on the App. I understand the Quatix can interface to Garmin yacht instrumentation, but an Aero is not in that league  ;-)
(for the iPhone, I use the Waterspeed app - I am sure there are many others)

Chris, have you tried using the Apple Watch on the water? I know there is a Waterspeed app for it but I’m a little concerned about the security of the watch on my wrist to try it yet.....really don’t want to see several hundred pounds of tech sinking to the bottom of our pond
Everything I say is my opinion, honest
Chris_H View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 20 at 7:54am
Originally posted by maxibuddah

Which app did you use?

Garmin Connect. It also tracks and map displays your sail afterwards on the App. I understand the Quatix can interface to Garmin yacht instrumentation, but an Aero is not in that league  ;-)

Chris, have you tried using the Apple Watch on the water? I know there is a Waterspeed app for it but I’m a little concerned about the security of the watch on my wrist to try it yet.....really don’t want to see several hundred pounds of tech sinking to the bottom of our pond

Yeah, was worried myself when I first used it on the water but then the cost of the Apple Watch is not dissimilar to the Garmin I had also. Works fine though
maxibuddah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote maxibuddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 20 at 8:06am

Originally posted by maxibuddah

Which app did you use?

Yeah, was worried myself when I first used it on the water but then the cost of the Apple Watch is not dissimilar to the Garmin I had also. Works fine though

But its a lot more than the Casio Pathfinder I normally use though.....good to hear you've not had issues. The design of the strap does look like it stops the end getting snagged by ropes, etc, that would normally undo a strap. I might have to give it a try
Everything I say is my opinion, honest
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 20 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by mongrel

I’ve used a Garmin Vivoactive 3 for this, I’ve used an application on it called “Race Countdown”.  It will count down your start sequence, and record your GPS track, which you can then upload to Strava etc..
The Vivoactive 3 is one of their cheaper wearable devices but is fine for this, and will also record your heart rate from its built in wrist sensor, you don’t really need anything better for sailing.
Its also good for cycling, running, swimming etc..

I've just ordered one of these, what device do you run Strava on?

Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
GarethT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 20 at 7:06pm
I've got Strava on iPhone, android tablet and via the website. Garmin connect syncs with the strava server.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 20 at 8:49pm
Thanks  Thumbs Up 
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Hengest View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hengest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 20 at 2:39pm
I'll be upfront and declare I have an interest here as I have written a couple of apps available on the Garmin store aimed exactly at (Hopefully) what you're looking for.

But as they're free to download and use, no hidden charges. Not even a "Buy me a coffee" button this isn't a commercial plug

I bought a garmin fenix 5 watch earlier in the year and was disappointed with what was available for dinghy racers / sailors. So I wrote an app I thought I would use instead of my old Optimum watch. 

Then I thought I'd add tack tic compass functions. Adding speed was easy so I added that as well. Recording the track was another thing I wanted so I added that and published it on the Garmin store just to see if anyone else wanted to use it

Someone commented on the facebook page I'd setup, saying it was not class legal for most classes. Which is true including the one I sail in (RS600)

So I stripped out alot of the functionality leaving just the timer and the track recording. Although not strictly legal to record the track in some classes, if you can't look at until you're off the water what's the harm?

And uploaded the simpler / (hopefully) legal app. https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/d24109e9-2fa4-4dc6-bc44-4240c97a10db

The tracks will upload to strava without you having to do anything. If there's a few of you recording, using phones, garmin watches, apple watches whatever, it's great to watch the flybys which effectively give you a race replay on Strava.

Would be great to get some feedback

Edited by Hengest - 29 Sep 20 at 2:40pm
GarethT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 20 at 3:08pm
I think yours is the app I'm using :-)
Hengest View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hengest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 20 at 3:10pm
Indeed, 

I think it was you that prompted me to make the "legal" version
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>