FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ovington Laser

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>
Author
tink View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ovington Laser
    Posted: 24 Aug 20 at 5:57pm
From the Ovington FB feed:

‘ All a bit of a last minute rush to have everything in place to be at WPNSA for the UKLA Nationals for the ILCA 4, 6 & 7...

Builders plaque, World Sailing plaque, Recreational Craft Directive certified and we even managed to get Class flags delivered in time.

Chris Turner Ovington MD will be on site Friday and Saturday to answer any questions...’
Tink
https://tinkboats.com

http://proasail.blogspot.com
andymck View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote andymck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 20 at 10:38pm
I love Sam Whaleys comment
“I have come to the conclusion it’s a laser”
Or another quote from a club member who was down there
“It’s very white”
Time will tell if the rake numbers are consistent and the build quality is more consistent.
Or, the issues are more to do with the building manual.
But then, they do seem more robust than my aero.
Andy Mck
zeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 20 at 2:08pm

Edited by zeon - 01 Oct 20 at 1:05pm
The Moo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Moo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 20 at 3:33pm
Or is becoming a Laser builder likely to become a bit of a poisoned chalice?

Nice to hear that your old boat is still being used in anger!
Late starter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Late starter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 20 at 4:49pm
Its been ages since I last sailed a Laser but I loved my time in the class.  There's still a good demand for old boats too. I've just sold my daughters 130k sail number oldie but goodie and I think I could have sold it 5x over. Hope the recent issues are behind the class and look forward to seeing the new boats.
zeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 20 at 6:00pm

Edited by zeon - 01 Oct 20 at 1:06pm
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 20 at 8:46am
Its true that very few hulls remain as competitive as a Laser for as long, pity the sails need replacing every few months but at least most people at club level just buy a non-class version!
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
fab100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fab100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 20 at 4:17pm
Just announced SailingFast will be Ovi's ILCA sales agent.

£6,750 for standard rig with carbon top section - no details on the remaining spec but presumably that's full XD

Contrast £7,440 for an Aero7 and £6,809 for a D-zero at today's exchange rate (€7.490)

I suspect they'll sell well initially, to squaddies (and wanabes) and those that have been holding back for ages whilst the dust settled on the disputes. Don't think I'll be replacing my 20 year old, million-miler with one though, particularly as its only used occasionally; the RS100 is infinitely more fun
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 20 at 7:56pm
Looking from the outside in, I am trying to work out why you wouldn’t buy a Laser XD with latest sail anD carbon top mast at £ 3,867?  The attraction of Lasers back in the day was that they were cheap and cheerful, and given that knock off sails are accepted by most club fleets, why wouldn’t lots of sailors home in on the Laser product ... what justifies the extra £ 3k?
Happily living in the past
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 20 at 7:59pm
Do I assume that even a club which doesn't allow replica sails would allow a Laser, built by Laser, to race as a Laser, even if the world governing body says only the version named after themselves can be used?
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>