FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First boat for tall new sailor with dodgy bacK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Clive99 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Clive99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First boat for tall new sailor with dodgy bacK
    Posted: 23 Aug 20 at 6:51pm
Hi all, sorry for yet another new boat post...I am completely new to sailing and have just enjoyed doing the level 1 course. Whilst waiting to do the level 2 course next month I am pondering which dinghy to purchase. I am 6’3” and about 70 odd kg, in my late 40’s with a dodgy lower back and knees which grumble after too much kneeling. On this basis I probably shouldn’t be considering a dinghy at all but life is too short and I can’t afford a Bavaria yacht...
I am looking for something which is able to move along nicely but is also comfortable. I think comfort will equate to a high boom and a deep cockpit where my feet are lower than my bum. Also not too heavy for pulling up the slipway. (Pulling a Pico was fine at around 60kg.)
At present I’ve only sailed the Pico which has quite a high boom but not much height between feet and bum when perched on the side decks and felt very cramped.

I was told at the level 1 course that a number of taller sailors at the club sail the Supernova. Is the Supernova likely to be more comfortable, ie have a deeper cockpit and similar or higher boom? (I’m sure its a much better performer but need to make sure it’s comfortable). I originally wondered about a Solo but it was mentioned that the boom is very low and the cockpit isn’t particularly deep. Images of the Solution suggest it has a deep cockpit and reasonable boom height but there doesn’t seem to be any used ones for sail. A shame as it’s a light boat too.

Can anyone recommend any other boats that maybe suitable for my situation? As a total beginner I’ll need something straightforward to sail and which doesn’t break the bank for a first purchase. The club sails on a large reservoir and I think races Solo’s and Aero’s and has a handful of Supernovas amongst other dinghies. Difficult to get close to other folks boats at this time with the Covid situation so I’d be grateful for any guidance anyone can offer.
Many thanks,
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 20 at 8:47pm
Boom is low on a Solo, but the cockpit is deep. Supernova also a good bet. Try both and anything else you can get your hands on.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 20 at 5:56am
Based on the knees and the fact they sail them at your club Solo. It has a proper thwart to sit on downwind and in the light stuff. Whatever boat anyone tells you watch some YouTube videos of people sailing them and look out for kneeling, also at you club if the people from one class are wearing knee pads. 

Tink
https://tinkboats.com

http://proasail.blogspot.com
ian.r.mcdonald View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 20 at 6:03am
Recent Solo mast and sail settings mean the racers run a lower boom.

There is nothing to stop you adjusting some simple rig settings ( as were used for decades by Solo sailors) to create extra boom height. And go faster downwind.

I am 6 3 with dodgy knees and the Solo is fine
Clive99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clive99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 20 at 1:29pm
Thanks for the replies guys.
Looking again at the Solo I have to say it does look comfortable. It’s a big boat though, heavier to pull up the slipway and I would imagine a handful to right after a capsize? Hopefully I won’t capsize quite as often as during the windy conditions I had on the level 1 course but it has brought this aspect of a boat selection to the front of my mind.
The other option I suppose is to go for a training type dinghy such as the Hartley H12 perhaps? Lighter and hopefully comfortable, but with a smaller sail presumably making this is a slower less fun sail?
As you have said I’ll need to try and find a way to test some of these when I’ve got the level 2 out of way...
Thanks again
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 20 at 2:03pm
The other option would be something like a Mirror dinghy. Slower than a Solo, but more stable. Easy to sail singlehanded. I guess the Hartley 12 is aiming for that market, but is much heavier.

But I have a feeling that you just need more time in boats to worry less about the capsizes. The Solo is pretty forgiving. More so than the Supernova.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
ian.r.mcdonald View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 20 at 6:48pm
Deciding to stay ashore when its windy is not a problem till you get used to the boat. Get your Class boat

With a training boat once you get things sorted- you really have to buy again.

Careful is good- but you will get going quickly- and with whichever class you choose a member of your club with the same boat is likely to help
Riv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Riv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 20 at 7:15pm
Supernova sailor at my club spends most of the time kneeling.
Supernova is hull weight 50kg add 10-15 kg for all the bits so maybe 65-70 kg. How important is keeping the weight down to Pico proportions?
Mistral Div II prototype board, Original Windsurfer, Hornet built'74.
Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 20 at 8:05pm
Don’t discount something like a Vareo, high boom, deep cockpit. Solo is a great little boat, but isn’t actually that roomy.
Musto Skiff and Solo sailor
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 20 at 9:41pm
How 'Competitive' are you? Be honest, because you have a lot to learn.
If the answer genuinely is, not at all, then feel free to choose any of the slower older boats, but if you are likely to feel in any way unsettled by being left behind to bring up the back of the fleet, then perhaps choose something quick and light like the Aero from the off. It won't help you win or place particularly high in the post race calculations, but it will keep you in the company of better sailors longer in an effort to emulate their sailing styles and race decision making tactics.

Just a thought.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>