FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Club changing rooms ... are they open?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
davidyacht View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 20 at 9:05pm
Donít think it is too hard to work out who most of the posters are
Happily living in the past
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 20 at 9:32pm
+1 on the racing.
Robert
NicolaJayne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote NicolaJayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 20 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by Cirrus

er .....don't quite follow you there ... if particiaption is 'down' why would or could 'commercial' clubs flourish ? 

In fact many regular clubs are seeing the exact opposite ...  Rising participation and club innovation and adaption.  In additon all clubs have to have a supportive commercial ethos these days and have needed to be switched on in that department for several decades now.  It does not automatically need the RYA or 'Sport England' (or your own regional version !) involvement either - this is grass roots stuff at the moment and not just a harking back to the 'good old days' either.  Will some clubs fade away ?  of course and they always have done.  However will other clubs (and classes) grow and develop strongly ? ....very possibly.

if particpation is down  because of a 'poor offer'  means  time-poor individuals   think sod it and leave the boat in the garage / back garden again this year and maybe  take the boat on holiday  

if participation  is down becausee the  local clubs are run by   some of the   pale, male and stales  that  post  here   that;ls another factor ... 
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 20 at 7:33am
There are almost 30 separate posters on this short thread, unfortunately there are also 3 of the most negative, rude and thoughtless poster, perhaps not responding to their posts will drive them away?

Edited by 423zero - 26 Aug 20 at 9:15am
Robert
Chris_H View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 20 at 7:39am
Nope. Am still here. It is good (and positive) to challenge the status quo and get people to think differently . Itís how new ideas and better ways are born
A2Z View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote A2Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 20 at 8:28am
Not quite sure why this thread has become so bitter.  I have no problem agreeing that the sport faces challenges both as a result of cv19 and wider societal issues.  But I am also convinced that sailing is fundamentally peerless. 

Some clubs may need to change and some may struggle, but there will always be an appetite for mucking about on water.

I used to think that RS should have bought Bewl when the opportunity came up and run it like a country club with no private boat ownership and Aeros, 200s etc for hire (weekly or seasonally).  Removes the cost and burden of boat ownership, guarantees fleets, pro run with no duties for members etc.  This model might work in some exceptional locations BUT generally I think it might encourage easy come-easy go attitudes - a short term boost to numbers but with much turnover and entitled customers.  As I mature into middle-age I increasingly recognise the benefit of a community working together and volunteering time and skills to help society.  Being active in a volunteer led club is good for the soul. 
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 20 at 9:15am
We have become a 'Yes, No' people, there doesn't appear to be many 'maybe's'.
I can only speak for my own experience with sailing, our sport can be expensive or cheap, I spend more on bikes than sailing, yet non sailors give a sharp intake of breath when I say that I sail, 'must have plenty of money', sailors also carry the stigma of being 'stuck up', I haven't found this either, perhaps I have been lucky in only finding friendly, helpful people ? Public perception of sailing needs to be challenged to increase chance of new people.
Robert
fab100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fab100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 20 at 10:12am
My 'corinthian' club has been sailing and busy; pre-booked free-sailing numbers when lockdown was lifted, racing turnouts when they were eased further, have all been excellent. 
It was so busy last weekend that consideration is being given to reverting to our normal Sunday programme of half the classes sailing in the morning and half in afternoon, rather than all together in the afternoon. Duties are allocated to volunteers and are working well too with some flexibility; I have my non-sailing, adult son as my crew in the safety boat this evening for instance.

My concern, 'future-of-sailing' wise is that the restrictions we are all under will further damage double-handed boats and further increase the emphasis on single-handers. We had a lad helming a Cadet and wearing a mask on Sunday. 

And I may well be buying a changing robe if autumn sets in and changing rooms remain out of use
fab100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fab100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 20 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Chris_H

Nope. Am still here. It is good (and positive) to challenge the status quo and get people to think differently . Itís how new ideas and better ways are born

So what are these great new ideas you have?

And how do you know they are new?

perhaps in a dedicated thread though...
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 20 at 10:25am
The club I am a member of and involved in helping run is doing just fine financially but then we have never relied upon the bar or food to help pay the costs and we have never had any employees to pay. Membership is way up and involvement way up too. Future looks bright and yes we have changed as a result of the pandemic, I do not see the strange world that some seem to believe is in play.
H2 #115
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>