FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Club changing rooms ... are they open?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 20 at 6:34pm
We once ran a boxing day race using a car for race control, horn and lights for race start.
Robert
Sussex Lad View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sussex Lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 20 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by KazRob

Originally posted by Sussex Lad

[QUOTE=H2] ......if many of the Member run clubs don't get a little more creative in their response then the pandemic will do further damage to participation figures and the commercial clubs will flourish.......not what I want personally. 

My old 'home' club, Prestwick SC, took the creative step of offering free membership to anybody this year given the unusual circumstances they found themselves in. I took them up on their offer for old times sake (and it's an excuse to go sail down there for a change) but I'm told it's been a big success locally with people who had considered asking about membership but never quite got round to joining taking them up on the offer. Hopefully they will turn those new members into paying members next year.

Sorry about my brief reply to you post earlier. I was having a brief lunch break. I have no idea how the other forumites find the time to monitor the forum and reply so extensively  Wink

Free Membership. Sounds like a very creative idea and not an idea that a commercial club would ever consider.

I assume the treasurer has done some sums? Are the number of free memberships limited to avoid a deluge?

Chris_H View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 20 at 7:49pm

I have no idea how the other forumites find the time to monitor the forum and reply so extensively  Wink

To be fair, there are only about 12 forum members who post anyway. Hugely representative of the sailing community .....
KazRob View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote KazRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 20 at 8:12pm

Free Membership. Sounds like a very creative idea and not an idea that a commercial club would ever consider.

I assume the treasurer has done some sums? Are the number of free memberships limited to avoid a deluge?
I assume they took a considered view on it and decided they had to do something. With the prospect of potentially no sailing this season when lockdown started one of the big worries must have been having members drop out for whatever reason. The free membership keeps people in the club as well as attract new potential members. They are asking for a donation, but it is no means compulsory for anybody. https://www.prestwicksailingclub.co.uk/how-to-join/how-do-i-get-started-sailing

Perhaps the ability to shutdown expenditure and facilities quickly and flexibly is one advantage a community club has over a commercial club who have wages etc to pay regularly.

OK 2139 & 2148
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 20 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Chris_H

Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

I disagree, golfing requires a course to be laid out and maintained. Usually over a large area and at much expense. Competitive sailing only needs access to a piece of water, the means to place some marks and the means to start and to record finishing times. Sailing clubs becoming commercial organisations would IMHO, be a very bad thing for the sport.

Letís review this post in 10-15 yrs time (if this forum is still around which I highly doubt - it needs to be put out of its misery and backward thinking) 😉

Dinosaurs once ruled the earth but we know what happened to them...

If you hate this forum, which has been around longer than 15 years already, why do you post?
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
Chris_H View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 20 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Rupert

Originally posted by Chris_H

Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

I disagree, golfing requires a course to be laid out and maintained. Usually over a large area and at much expense. Competitive sailing only needs access to a piece of water, the means to place some marks and the means to start and to record finishing times. Sailing clubs becoming commercial organisations would IMHO, be a very bad thing for the sport.

Letís review this post in 10-15 yrs time (if this forum is still around which I highly doubt - it needs to be put out of its misery and backward thinking) 😉

Dinosaurs once ruled the earth but we know what happened to them...

If you hate this forum, which has been around longer than 15 years already, why do you post?

A) I dont 'Hate' this forum. I find it quaintly amusing and archaic
B) There are on very rare occassions, useful nuggets of information
C) C19 has given me loads of free time to nudge and stir the pot to make people think a bit more than just being dinosaurs, such as you..
D) Sailors can be such a strange bunch of f**kers - 
E) IMHO - sailing, clubs, and sailors need a wake-up call, smell the coffee, and welcome in the future

Edited by Chris_H - 25 Aug 20 at 8:29pm
Chris_H View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 20 at 8:37pm
Lets be honest, there are roughly 12 of you who post here - on what is one of the supposed biggest journals in the UK. 12! Really? And yet some seem to think they represent the thinkings of the sailing community. It is somewhat bizarre. But amusing. I am being deliberately provocative so excuse if you think I am being offensive. 
423zero View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 20 at 9:00pm
There are 12 posters who are persistent negative posters, you know who you are, hiding behind the anonymity of a keyboard.
Robert
Chris_H View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 20 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by 423zero

There are 12 posters who are persistent negative posters, you know who you are, hiding behind the anonymity of a keyboard.

+1

Edited by Chris_H - 25 Aug 20 at 9:03pm
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 20 at 9:03pm
E) IMHO - sailing, clubs, and sailors need a wake-up call, smell the coffee, and welcome in the future

I am sure the 12 posters would like to be enlightened as to what the future might hold, and how we might improve the outcome?  I am sure that we might all want to help a favourable outcome, but as time passes I am increasingly of the view that the main priority is to secure decent class racing for as long as I am fit enough to sit a boat out ... selfish maybe ... pragmatic certainly
Happily living in the past
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>