FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Club changing rooms ... are they open?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Cirrus View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 20 at 11:00am
er .....don't quite follow you there ... if particiaption is 'down' why would or could 'commercial' clubs flourish ? 

In fact many regular clubs are seeing the exact opposite ...  Rising participation and club innovation and adaption.  In additon all clubs have to have a supportive commercial ethos these days and have needed to be switched on in that department for several decades now.  It does not automatically need the RYA or 'Sport England' (or your own regional version !) involvement either - this is grass roots stuff at the moment and not just a harking back to the 'good old days' either.  Will some clubs fade away ?  of course and they always have done.  However will other clubs (and classes) grow and develop strongly ? ....very possibly.
KazRob View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote KazRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 20 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Sussex Lad

[QUOTE=H2] ......if many of the Member run clubs don't get a little more creative in their response then the pandemic will do further damage to participation figures and the commercial clubs will flourish.......not what I want personally. 

My old 'home' club, Prestwick SC, took the creative step of offering free membership to anybody this year given the unusual circumstances they found themselves in. I took them up on their offer for old times sake (and it's an excuse to go sail down there for a change) but I'm told it's been a big success locally with people who had considered asking about membership but never quite got round to joining taking them up on the offer. Hopefully they will turn those new members into paying members next year.
OK 2139 & 2148
Sussex Lad View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sussex Lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 20 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by KazRob

[QUOTE=H2] ......if many of the Member run clubs don't get a little more creative in their response then the pandemic will do further damage to participation figures and the commercial clubs will flourish.......not what I want personally. 

My old 'home' club, Prestwick SC, took the creative step of offering free membership to anybody this year given the unusual circumstances they found themselves in. I took them up on their offer for old times sake (and it's an excuse to go sail down there for a change) but I'm told it's been a big success locally with people who had considered asking about membership but never quite got round to joining taking them up on the offer. Hopefully they will turn those new members into paying members next year.

Brilliant  Thumbs Up
iGRF View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 20 at 3:22pm
I'm not that sure what's going on at our club with all the restrictions on entry to all but the inner cliques sanctioned by the Soviet, but I did hear a rumour that they'd been so successful this season,that they were thinking of closing the membership, so there must be demand, albeit for SUP, Cycle and Windsurfing, our boat park as usual constrains the sailing membership.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 20 at 4:33pm
Can't see anything happening at my (very small) club this year, I haven't sailed since lockdown started, you have to book a place and that's not for racing just cruising round, I only race or sail somewhere.
Very pleased to hear bigger clubs are doing ok.
Robert
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sussex Lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 20 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Cirrus

er .....don't quite follow you there ... if particiaption is 'down' why would or could 'commercial' clubs flourish ? 

In fact many regular clubs are seeing the exact opposite ...  Rising participation and club innovation and adaption.  In additon all clubs have to have a supportive commercial ethos these days and have needed to be switched on in that department for several decades now.  It does not automatically need the RYA or 'Sport England' (or your own regional version !) involvement either - this is grass roots stuff at the moment and not just a harking back to the 'good old days' either.  Will some clubs fade away ?  of course and they always have done.  However will other clubs (and classes) grow and develop strongly ? ....very possibly.

Why could commercial clubs flourish? Because they are generally quicker to adapt and tend to be more creative in their pursuit of dosh. Less hidebound and less timid......not always but generally and I'm not saying that I prefer them either.

No doubt some clubs, larger ones in particular still have waiting lists. Not sure which club you sail at so I couldn't comment on it's circumstances. 

Reading through the first few pages of this thread most are reporting restricted/no changing facilities, restricted/booked sailing, restricted/no catering, restricted loo facilities. Many clubs have a significant income from social memberships.......No social activities. I definitely don't think this is sustainable.

The WHO reckons 2yrs before we see the back of this pandemic. R number teetering on the edge of more restrictions . Kids going back to school. Sage members saying a couple of weeks ago that they don't see how they can lift any more restrictions in the current climate.

Given that some or all restrictions could be in place for quite a while are you really trying to tell me that this isn't to the detriment of the sport and it's participation? 

Edited by Sussex Lad - 25 Aug 20 at 4:38pm
Paramedic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 20 at 4:50pm
I have to agree that club sailing has undergone a huge shot in the arm. One club near to me has more boats out than ever. The main club I sail at has seen a membership increase. The other club i sail at had 33 boats out two Sundays ago and 20+ last Sunday.

This is really good, and to be fair is much needed. But classes that are circuit based with little concentrated club activity are inevitably going to suffer and many of our perched top classes fall into that category.

All that said none of the clubs I refer to are anywhere near back to activity in the manner we had before COVID. The one I'm not a member of - I hear - are pushing the limits of what's acceptable. The two I am a member are cautious. But they are all still here.

Edited by Paramedic - 25 Aug 20 at 5:12pm
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sussex Lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 20 at 4:57pm
.....and as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, come the colder months.

Paramedic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 20 at 5:08pm

.....and as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, come the colder months.

To be fair at some of the smaller clubs will it make much difference to have no changing facilities? Poor, inefficient heating and showers that vary from frigid to volcanic depending on how you look at the tap  LOL
Chris_H View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 20 at 5:11pm

Originally posted by Paramedic

I have to agree that club sailing has undergone a huge shot in the arm. One club near to me has more boats out than ever. The main club I sail at has seen a membership increase. The other club in sail at had 33 boats out two Sundays ago and 20+ last Sunday.
This is really good, and to be fair is much needed. But classes that are circuit based with little concentrated club activity are inevitably going to suffer and many of our perched top classes fall into that category.
All that said none of the clubs I refer to are anywhere near back to activity in the manner we had before COVID. The one I'm not a member of - I hear - are pushing the limits of what's acceptable. The two I am a member are cautious. But they are all still here.

I would be very cautious in suggesting that sailing has had a huge shot in the arm. I believe it is just a spike and not at all representative of the future†
For sure, the club I belong to has had a huge upsurge in its week day evening racing and general sailing. But I would say there are many reasons for this:
- Many people are working form home (if indeed they are working at all) and can therefore make the time to race/participate as they donít have the commute to deal with
- Some are not working at all and so can do so
- Anyone flying away on holiday needs their head examined and so have much more availability
- The weather, up until now, has been exceptional and great for sailing
- /Itís the school holidays anyway
But this does not translate to club income to keep it afloat. Membership fees have already been paid anyway. Catering is limited. Bar opening hours are limited. This is clear from the downturn in people eating and drinking
New members will always come along, but whether they stay and renew for next year we will have to see.†
It wont be until this time next year that boost clubs will see the financials and forecast of drinks/food/membership/social activities †and make an informed decision as to where they go next.
Anything else is pure speculation.
My gut feel is, some clubs will have close - accelerated by C19. And those closures were probably inevitable anyways- just fore-shortened
As for the future of clubs - I despair at some I know. Hanging by a thread, populated by the old school who dream of the old days to come back and cant think of a better way forward. They deserve to close
I believe clubs need to be much more professional, much more with the commercials in mind. Sailors, in general, WILL pay more fees for a better service - I believe. Corinthian clubs will still be around, but few and far between - and rightly so.

We need to grow up

Edited by Chris_H - 25 Aug 20 at 5:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>