FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Club changing rooms ... are they open?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
turnturtle View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Club changing rooms ... are they open?
    Posted: 24 Aug 20 at 11:23am
Originally posted by iGRF

Our changing room is limited to 5 persons, except as some wag noted when I'm in there and it's only 4 ½. so 5 ½ won't matter.

You are advised to use the non-binary changing room.
Chris_H View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 20 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Sussex Lad

What does "Social Membership" mean now? It's a large chunk of the membership for many clubs.

What can a club do? Memberships were already in decline before the pandemic.

Any Exec coms discussing strategies to combat these problems? 

I have said it before many times - there are already too many clubs to support too few sailors. A natural cull or amalgamation of clubs would ensure the survival of the sporting facilities.  

C19 is having an affect in all aspects of our lives - as an example, shopping high streets will never be the same again - perhaps the time is ripe to look at a new way of how sailing clubs exist, cater for, and are run

Edited by Chris_H - 24 Aug 20 at 12:34pm
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 20 at 1:59pm
The clubs round us all seem busy enough.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 20 at 3:05pm
We are now seeing as much activity as in 2019, albeit of a slightly different style but activity all the same.

I noticed today that my old club on the East Anglian coast had yesterday what looked like the best turnout for several years.

Sailing is a great antidote to numerous ills and given choice regular people will continue and a few new ones will find a way to benefit from time on the water.  
ColPrice2002 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ColPrice2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 20 at 3:20pm
We're running a Sunday Pursuit race, with >60 boats each day (and not the same ones!).
What is encouraging is seeing a laser fleet of >20 boats, whereas last year there were only a few.
We're also seeing a surge in the RS Aero (all rigs). Maybe people are sailing nearer home, or using "holiday funds" for a dinghy rather than a trip abroad with the roulette wheel of having a 2 week quarantine as well.

Let's hope this activity feeds into the sailing clubs finances and facilities.
Sussex Lad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sussex Lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 20 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Chris_H

Originally posted by Sussex Lad

What does "Social Membership" mean now? It's a large chunk of the membership for many clubs.

What can a club do? Memberships were already in decline before the pandemic.

Any Exec coms discussing strategies to combat these problems? 

I have said it before many times - there are already too many clubs to support too few sailors. A natural cull or amalgamation of clubs would ensure the survival of the sporting facilities.  

C19 is having an affect in all aspects of our lives - as an example, shopping high streets will never be the same again - perhaps the time is ripe to look at a new way of how sailing clubs exist, cater for, and are run

Yep Totally agree. Commercially run clubs?  not that I'd join one, they do seem more adventurous and adaptable though.

Reading this thread it seems that most clubs are running on 2 cylinders ATM. The WHO reckons 2 years before we see the back of the pandemic and when the kids go back to school (rightly so IMO) the R number will probably go up so the restrictions may not be lifted any time soon. 

we'll see.
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 20 at 7:35am
Its the same doomsayers on here predicting the end of sailing as a result of COVID, yet we have seen more new members this year than normal even without running open days or advertising. Sunday racing last weekend saw 28 boats out which for a small pond in the Cotswolds is alot. I am not sure where some folks are looking to get their negative views, but based on what I see, COVID has been a boon for our sport!
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 20 at 7:55am
a couple of simple factors - what has been the traveller's events loss has been club sailing's gain (no bad thing imho).

Plus people aren't going on holipops and the pubs are pretty sh*t: you can't buy a decent bike for love nor money, it makes sense to assume some people may return to dinghy sailing if there's a general vibe of getting active outside more.

I hope the new found and rediscovered enthusiasm lasts.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 20 at 8:21am
We had over 50 boats racing on Sunday morning in the rain and a different cohort of over 30 training or casual sailing in the afternoon. That’s with no changing rooms or bar etc, so I think there is plenty of appetite for sailing still.

Sailing has a number of unique features that will always make it stand out from other activities, so whilst we may not maintain the fleets of yesteryear I am confident that is ailing has a healthy future.
Sussex Lad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sussex Lad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 20 at 8:36am
Originally posted by H2

Its the same doomsayers on here predicting the end of sailing as a result of COVID, yet we have seen more new members this year than normal even without running open days or advertising. Sunday racing last weekend saw 28 boats out which for a small pond in the Cotswolds is alot. I am not sure where some folks are looking to get their negative views, but based on what I see, COVID has been a boon for our sport!

Being adaptable requires that you can foresee potential problems that may arise........so that you can (yes, you guessed it) "adapt". It's also called being "proactive" (yep, you guessed it again).

The sailing community in general is terrible at these particular skills preferring instead to dream of bygone days of class fleets, heavy old boats, copious numbers of volunteers, patronising all and sundry and archaic names..........that's the way it was and that's the way we'd like it to be again. It ain't gonna happen. 

About 15 yrs ago I started a thread on here about declining participation according to the Sport England survey, "what could be done about it?" was my question. Nearly every response  was along the lines of  "The numbers aren't specific enough" or more commonly "Na, it's a load of rubbish, still good here", Denial.........Where is the sport of sailing now? I wasn't saying that we could do anything about it, I was just asking folk to think about it. No Joy.

Sadly the decline was already happening, it is happening. The covid restrictions are another potential nail in the coffin of the sport and if many of the Member run clubs don't get a little more creative in their response then the pandemic will do further damage to participation figures and the commercial clubs will flourish.......not what I want personally. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>