FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dinghies with keels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sheetpuller View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sheetpuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dinghies with keels
    Posted: 24 Jul 20 at 7:24pm
Is there a current equivalent boat to the Laser Stratos Keel? There were quite a few 'keeled dinghies' around a few years ago but as a concept they seem to have disappeared?

Following an accident I no longer have a good enough sense of balance to sail most conventional centreboard dinghies and I'm looking for something that'll allow me to continue sailing from a dinghy club. All suggestions gratefully received!
I'm not arguing. I'm explaining why I'm right.

Merlin Rocket 3545 - 'Smooth Operator'

Sprint 15 1342 - 'Still Crazy'

Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 20 at 7:50pm
They tend to be heavy like the Stratos Keel (inevitable since they have an extra 60 or 70 kg in the keel). But K1 and K2 spring to mind as does the Flying Fifteen or you could consider a 2.4M if the club can accommodate them (my inland club does and FFs). Or would fitting a steel or ally contemplate to a conventional dinghy work, that would likely be the cheapest option if racing competitively not on the agenda?

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 24 Jul 20 at 7:51pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 20 at 8:09pm
The Topper Xenon is now available with a keel, Xenon K1.  Or something like a Wayfarer is pretty stable even without any lead.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 20 at 8:34pm
Don't know if the Laser Vortex is worth considering in your circumstance? It seems a steady enough platform. I did manage to capsize one when I had a play, but only because I thought I'd try sailing it on one hull on a run!
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 20 at 8:44pm
The RS Venture keel is effectively the updated version of the Stratos keel, by the same designer. Better keel system.

There are sit in keel boats around like theHansa 303 and Liberty which I coach and enjoy sailing but maybe a step too far from dinghies.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
cad99uk View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote cad99uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 20 at 10:14am
A +1 for the Hansa 303W. It really would be worth giving it a try.
Old bloke View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Old bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 20 at 12:33pm
YW dayboat can be treated like a heavy dinghy if the slipway is not too steep although I would not be behind it winching it up the slope at WOTSC.
If you can use a car , then National 18 or Devon Yawl
PeterG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 20 at 3:13pm
A Devon Yawl won't capsize, but I keep mine on a mooring. Getting it in and once or twice a year is enough! I'm not sure that fits the bill for "sailing from a dinghy club"
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
Old bloke View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Old bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 20 at 5:51pm
A lot of the Salcombe Yawls dry sail using an ordinary launching trolley, but they do use a car or quad bike to pull them out. Doesn't seem much harder than for an ordinary dinghy
Wiclif View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wiclif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 20 at 6:31pm
If the OP sails a MerlinRocket I would suggest the K1 or K2.  
I actually prefer the Stratos Keel and it’s keel system to the RS Venture, but spare parts will be more difficult to source.
The draft on the K1 is deeper than the Stratos, and consequently it comes upright more easily despite the lighter keel.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>