FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dinghies with keels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dinghies with keels
    Posted: 25 Jul 20 at 6:42pm
The K1 is a lot narrower and lighter than a Stratos Keel (1.22m/2m and 105kg/290kg) so is going to be a radically different sailing experience. The K2 has an all up sailing weight if 155kg so it is probably half the all up weight of a Stratos Keel, it's also a fair bit narrower at 1.62m. They are much more performance orientated than the SK
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
NickM99 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 20 at 8:42pm
The K1 seems to be surprisingly competitive across a range of conditions/wind strengths.  The Stratos Keel needs F5 + to sail near its handicap.  Don't know about a K2.
Sheetpuller View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sheetpuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 20 at 2:21pm
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys; they've given me some good pointers to think about. Somebody also suggested a K6 - another for me to investigate.

I could be quite tempted by a Flying 15. There is one at my club but it doesn't get sailed, and I've a feeling that at least part of the reason is the difficulty of launching and recovery up the slipway (there's no winch). And even a lifting keel will have enough weight to influence that. More cogitation required.

I'm not arguing. I'm explaining why I'm right.

Merlin Rocket 3545 - 'Smooth Operator'

Sprint 15 1342 - 'Still Crazy'

The Moo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Moo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 20 at 3:22pm
We help a member pull his K1 up a short but steepish slipway at our Club fairly regularly. No more difficult than say a GP14.
andy h View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote andy h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 20 at 9:56am
A long rope and a car helps with a FF.  Alternatively you could buddy up with the other one. Four people should have no problem launching and recovering a FF if the slipway is not stupidly long and steep.  That's what we used to do in Penzance without a winch.  They are lovely boats by the way but way heavier than a K1.
Europe AUS53 & FF 3615
National 12 3344, Europe 397 and Mirror 53962 all gone with regret
ohFFsake View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ohFFsake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 20 at 3:05pm
If the trailer is reasonably well sorted and the slipway not steep two people can pull a FF out at a pinch, but 4 makes it easy.

Heavier than a K1 but faster and a bit more going on downwind with three sails. Fleets all over the place and a vibrant open circuit...
NickA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 20 at 9:47pm
We have at my club: K1, flying 15, tempest, k6 and sailability have a Venture with forward facing seats. The K1 is really a single hander though I know one pair who sail one together. K6 is a bit of a handful due to the huge kite, won't capsize but will broach and we've had a couple of expensive carbon mast breakages. Flying 15 looks like a lovely boat,but the tempest sailers say it's a dog ..I think they mean that it rewards vigorous hiking ( tho the FF owners at my club NEVER hike) Tempest needs a 15stone crew on a trapeze or that will broach merrily. Tempest and FF need s very deep slipway due the fixed keels. I reckon the K1 is a good boat for the single older sailor, maybe the venture for two up cruising.
Javelin 558
Contender 2574
andy h View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote andy h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 20 at 10:06am
The FF is a lovely boat as well as a lovely looking one.  If you sail it properly like a dinghy (i.e. flat) it's a a really rewarding physical challenge in big breeze.  It is a mistake to view it as a retirement fleet for superannuated dinghy sailors!  I really noticed the difference when I tried out an Etchells recently which has much more of a yacht feel to it than the FF.
Europe AUS53 & FF 3615
National 12 3344, Europe 397 and Mirror 53962 all gone with regret
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12