FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Plywood Kit Designers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Sid92 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sid92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plywood Kit Designers
    Posted: 24 Jul 20 at 6:06pm
After many years of double handed dinghy sailing I'm looking to get a single hander due to the Covid situation.
After reviewing whats available in the market I'm struggling to find a suitable craft so am looking at the potential for a modern ply constucted design which could be made by a competent diy er.
My thinking is something about 14ft capable of carrying weight with a deep ish cockpit to ensure no kneeling is required.
A hiking single sail boat using a Phantom carbon mast (or similar) and a similar sail design / area to reduce development costs.
The ideal design would be one with enough rocker to support inland sailing on restricted waters but still be a fast boat.
Appreciate there are many designs available currently but in my mind they are all for sub 105kg sailers with the young and agile in mind.
I have previously sailed Phantoms,Ok's, contenders but some time ago.
The design / construction would be along the lines Leech OK project. Can anyone think of any suitable UK designers?
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 20 at 6:29pm
Keith Callaghan designed the Hadron - take a look. It morphed into the H2
Nessa owned one will know more.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 20 at 6:49pm
There are arguably two separate design challenges. The first is to get a shape, which arguably could be one of the existing classes, and the second is to generate a millimetre accurate cad/cam file to cut the ply from. The second is arguably the bigger challenge.

Sid92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sid92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 20 at 6:50pm
Thanks Rupert I have tried an H2. Its a nice boat but for lighter helms.
I would think 12 - 13 stone is ideal for the H2 I'm looking at something comfortable for 14.5 stone helms plus..I'm at 17 stone and relatively fit but at over 6ft it needs to be more on the scale of a Megabyte which is a nice boat from a hull design point of view but again would suggest the rig is designed for lighter weights. (Also its imposible to find then for sale..)
Sid92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sid92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 20 at 6:58pm
Thanks Jim, what class were you thinking? I did think something along the lines of a scaled up streaker might be similar to what I imagined although with a bit more beam or so ething like the Sabre or Impulse from Australia?
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 20 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by Sid92

Thanks Rupert I have tried an H2. Its a nice boat but for lighter helms.
I would think 12 - 13 stone is ideal for the H2 I'm looking at something comfortable for 14.5 stone helms plus..I'm at 17 stone and relatively fit but at over 6ft it needs to be more on the scale of a Megabyte which is a nice boat from a hull design point of view but again would suggest the rig is designed for lighter weights. (Also its imposible to find then for sale..)

The original Hadron appears to have a bit more volume to it, but it may be that the designer can tweak it, or already has a design up his sleeve.

Otherwise, most home build ply designers are concentrating on cruising boats.

I know some big people who have owned Megabytes, certainly more than 17 stone, if they will forgive me saying. Like hens teeth though in the UK.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Daniel Holman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Holman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 20 at 7:09pm
You can build a phantom from sheet ply, I know that there are glass boats with "wells" to give less than appalling downwind ergonomics, so that arrangement could be replicated in ply. Is there any reason why you wouldn't want a phant?
If for whatever reason thats not cool and you don't want something completely custom, have a look at the woods designs stealth or zest:
http://boatplans.cc/woods-designs/stealth/
https://www.sailingcatamarans.com/index.php/designs-2/46-beach-cats-and-dinghies/436-zest
Richard Woods is the daddy at ply kit designs albeit generally on larger multihulls

Sid92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sid92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 20 at 7:40pm
I enjoyed the Phantom I had but found current design to be very hard on the knees.. I like the look of the JJ deep cockpit versions but still feel there are poor ergonomics for the deep offwind work and you also have the low boom issue.
KazRob View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote KazRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 20 at 7:42pm
Why not speak to Dan Leech to get a design done? Maybe he could stretch the OK out a bit more into something for you (although his new Mk4 OK is aimed at ~105kg helms). He charges 600NZ$ for the OK cad files (~£300?) to get the boat and jig panels cut so it may save you time an money in the long run.
For those that like something more radical than the OK, he does some other cool boats too http://www.leechboats.com/sail

BTW - well worth getting a try in the OK class demo boat. Lots of sailors (inc me) over 6ft and 100+kg in them. Think the rig might be further forward and more upright than you maybe tried before.

Edited by KazRob - 24 Jul 20 at 7:45pm
OK 2249
D-1 138
CapSizer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CapSizer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 20 at 7:44pm
Why is a single-floor ply Phantom out of the question?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>