FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gull, Graduate, Wanderer or Enterprise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
SueW View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote SueW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 20 at 10:57pm
Thank you for the suggestion of a Hansa dinghy, we have tried that at Sailability but Abi didnít like being so low and being unable to move from the seats. I think for the right person they are brilliant but my daughter is really determined to sail in a mainstream boat and I respect that as she manages so well in a mainstream school and she managed to get RYA stage 1 at the same time as the rest of her group at WOSC last year
SueW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SueW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 20 at 11:00pm
My Lightning floats high in the water so I am keen to have a boat that I can not only right but can get back into although I do have a very nice mast float 😂

Edited by SueW - 19 Jul 20 at 11:02pm
Neptune View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 20 at 6:10am
Only because there was an advert on right hand size, but what about a flying 15, or a squib (if you have access to fixed mooring).  Neither boat needs to be much more expensive than a dinghy if you go old enough and the keel means lack of dagger space and plenty of room.
RS300 and RS200, ex Musto Skiff
SueW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SueW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 20 at 9:08am
I am at West Oxfordshire Sailing Club so no moorings or big boats there but thank you for the suggestion
cad99uk View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote cad99uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 20 at 11:59am
Quite understand your daughters view of the Hansa. Best wishes in finding a suitable boat
423zero View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 20 at 12:01pm
Not sure about this, doesn't the Squib fill up and sink?
Robert
ColPrice2002 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote ColPrice2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 20 at 12:03pm
Hi,

With regard to not turning turtle (!), our Wanderer has foam flotation panels for the Mainsail.

If you talk to a sailmaker, it's very likely that you can get the floatation built into the sail - rather than fly a buoyancy bag from the masthead...

The other option may be to choose a dinghy that can have a loose footed mainail (like the Drascombe - but one you can launch!)

Colin
Wiclif View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wiclif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 20 at 4:28pm
I have to say that I prefer the bag at the top of the mast.

The foam panels at the top of the sail make the sail so much more clumsy to fold etc.

In addition, as you reef, you are moving the buoyancy down the mast so that it is less affective.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 20 at 5:01pm
Generally the bag is tied to the sail too, but is way better at stopping inversion than the panel. The one on the Argo made no difference even on a leeward capsize.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 20 at 5:04pm
Generally the bag is tied to the sail too, but is way better at stopping inversion than the panel. The one on the Argo made no difference even on a leeward capsize.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>