FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gull, Graduate, Wanderer or Enterprise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
SueW View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote SueW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 20 at 6:12pm
My daughter did level 1 in a Wayfarer, she is over 5ft 10, has a scoliosis and low muscle tone so not an ideal combination. I think if she was shorter an Enterprise would be great, she has inherited my height so we are not the most compact of crews 😂
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 20 at 8:03pm
A left field option might be a Snipe. Fairly rare in the UK, they do feature a notably high boom. But a significant drawback is they are a largish old school boat and pretty damn heavy.

An option for you, if racing is not a key aim, would be to get several inches cut off the bottom of the sail of an otherwise suitable boat, and have the gooseneck moved up the mast to match, creating a higher boom. It would depend, unfortunately, on the fine detail of the mast construction whether this was a fairly simple operation or so complicated as to be impractical.

Just went looking through Apollo Duck for inspiration, and its surprisingly hard to pick out a boat that would fit the bill.

Edited by JimC - 14 Jul 20 at 8:11pm
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 20 at 6:27am
Enterprise would probably do it, cheap as chips leaving enough money for a few mods, I have seen 6 footers crewing them, boom will slide up mast with a smaller sail.
Robert
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 20 at 8:44am
Originally posted by 423zero

Enterprise would probably do it, cheap as chips leaving enough money for a few mods, I have seen 6 footers crewing them, boom will slide up mast with a smaller sail.

Lighter to pull ashore, too, with the trade off of less stability.
Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 20 at 10:26am
The trouble with Enterprises is that the older glass ones tend to have more leaks than a Welsh allotment, and the wood ones with buoyancy bags are a nightmare capsized. The modern foram/glass ones don't look to have exactly generous tank provision either, but I've never seen one capsized.
SueW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SueW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 20 at 1:28pm
Thank you for all your answers we have decided to keep looking out for a Gull. For the short term in the summer we will probably use a club Wayfarer possibly with Firefly sails or reefed. Also I am going to take a club Hartley 12 out on my own to see how that might be. One of the Hartley 12s was turtled within 5 minutes of launching yesterday, fortunately he drifted onto the reeds after 20 minutes of trying to get back in it (he didnít have a wetsuit on) so I will test it a lot before risking my daughter in it. 
polc1410 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote polc1410 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 20 at 4:36pm
Worth looking at Heron as well as Gull. I've seen more fibre glass ones than Gulls. The modern FRP has a false bottom so brings up very little water.

I'd be tempted to look at replacing the kicker with a strut (out of class)

If capsize recover is a concern look at mast head floatation choices. If it's genuinely going to be very rare... secumar do a CO2 version which is pricey and obviously costs if you deploy it. Various other versions exist or just a empty bottle.

And if climbing back in is a concern work on a plan with a looped rope.

cad99uk View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote cad99uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 20 at 8:19pm
Another left field suggestion. Have you considered a Hansa 303W. I normally sail a 29er and RS800 but love taking a special needs lady out in our Hansa.

Great performance in the light and when it's blowing old boots. Reefable, will not capsize. The rig is a work of art and so efficient. I just love it.

Edited by cad99uk - 19 Jul 20 at 8:20pm
NicolaJayne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote NicolaJayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 20 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by JimC

The trouble with Enterprises is that the older glass ones tend to have more leaks than a Welsh allotment, and the wood ones with buoyancy bags are a nightmare capsized. The modern foram/glass ones don't look to have exactly generous tank provision either, but I've never seen one capsized.

Bow tank makes a deal of difference, the  ent  regardless of   fully  tanked  or not   while it has   plenty of buoyancy  does sit low  when capsized ... 

Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 20 at 9:46pm
I believe the main complaint with the Rondar mk3 is the higher centre of gravity due to the double floor. I suspect the disadvantages are pretty small but maybe worth considering if you don't capsize much. From a cruising sailors PoV the extra headroom/legroom might be more significant. Not sure how high they float though.

Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>