FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gull, Graduate, Wanderer or Enterprise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
SueW View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote SueW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gull, Graduate, Wanderer or Enterprise
    Posted: 25 Jul 20 at 1:12am
Originally posted by Rupert

Sailed the Heron a few times, never really thought that much of it. Like a small GP14. Somehow the Mirror seems like a better boat for the size, with loads more space because of the bow transom and open deck layout. Better than the Gull in my view too, but maybe not for your purposes.

I am 5 ft 10 and 13 yr old is 5ft 11 and still growing I presumed we would be too big in a Mirror? 
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 20 at 6:44am
You might feel like you are more "on top" of the boat in a Mirror. If you can, jump in one and see. Same for all the boats.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
SoggyBadger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SoggyBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 20 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by SueW

sorry to ask late but is the stability of a Heron similar to a Gull? also do you know if it has seats inside please?

Initial stability of the Heron is slightly higher due to it being single chine but there's not a lot in it really. Yes they do have inner seats. They're certainly more budget-friendly that Gulls, where even well-used ones seem to have really high asking prices.
Best wishes from deep in the woods

SB

SoggyBadger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SoggyBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 20 at 8:57pm

Sailed the Heron a few times, never really thought that much of it. Like a small GP14. Somehow the Mirror seems like a better boat for the size, with loads more space because of the bow transom and open deck layout. Better than the Gull in my view too, but maybe not for your purposes.

I am 5 ft 10 and 13 yr old is 5ft 11 and still growing I presumed we would be too big in a Mirror? 

The boom on the mirror is very low. They're great little boats but a Gull or a Heron would be better for your daughter.
Best wishes from deep in the woods

SB

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 20 at 9:29pm
Low boom easily solved - set the gaff higher - but I think there would be other issues with layout too.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
SueW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SueW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 20 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by SoggyBadger

The boom on the mirror is very low. They're great little boats but a Gull or a Heron would be better for your daughter.

Thank you I guessed as much but it is good to know, we are going to view a Gull on Wednesday and hopefully buy it. 
Lightning 413
SueW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SueW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 20 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by SoggyBadger

sorry to ask late but is the stability of a Heron similar to a Gull? also do you know if it has seats inside please?

Initial stability of the Heron is slightly higher due to it being single chine but there's not a lot in it really. Yes they do have inner seats. They're certainly more budget-friendly that Gulls, where even well-used ones seem to have really high asking prices.

Thank you I haven’t found any grp Herons but have (maybe) found a Gull and yes they are really expensive I agree. 
Lightning 413
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345