FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gull, Graduate, Wanderer or Enterprise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gull, Graduate, Wanderer or Enterprise
    Posted: 20 Jul 20 at 5:05pm
Bahia still inverts even with the Radar dome.
Robert
Riv View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Riv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 20 at 5:56pm
4230: "Not sure about this, doesn't the Squib fill up and sink?"

They don't. Squib is the Andrex Puppy of the sailing world. Serious respect.

Mistral Div II prototype board, Original Windsurfer, Hornet built'74.
SueW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SueW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 20 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by Rupert

Either Gull or Wanderer, I'd say. At our Sailability group we use a Wayfarer where we have used a smaller sail (still pulled to the top) and raise the boom by about a foot. It gives plenty of headroom and still leaves plenty of sail area. One Wanderer this would also work, and a quick experiment with borrowed sails would show what would be the right size. I'd start with a Fìrefly sail and go from there till one looks right.

The Gull might end up with too little sail to do this maybe?

Rupert out of interest how do you raise the boom on the Wayfarer to accommodate the sail being pulled to the top please?
SueW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SueW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 20 at 12:05am
Originally posted by polc1410

Worth looking at Heron as well as Gull. I've seen more fibre glass ones than Gulls. The modern FRP has a false bottom so brings up very little water.

I'd be tempted to look at replacing the kicker with a strut (out of class)

If capsize recover is a concern look at mast head floatation choices. If it's genuinely going to be very rare... secumar do a CO2 version which is pricey and obviously costs if you deploy it. Various other versions exist or just a empty bottle.

And if climbing back in is a concern work on a plan with a looped rope.

sorry to ask late but is the stability of a Heron similar to a Gull? also do you know if it has seats inside please?
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 20 at 3:54am
Originally posted by SueW

Rupert out of interest how do you raise the boom on the Wayfarer to accommodate the sail being pulled to the top please?

On some masts you can slide the gooseneck up and down.

sorry to ask late but is the stability of a Heron similar to a Gull? also do you know if it has seats inside please?

Probably more stable and yes, but the downside is that the Heron is a 1950 design and the Gull 1956, and a lot of progress was made over that period. I've sailed both a fair bit and personally greatly prefer the Gull.
SueW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SueW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 20 at 8:43am
Originally posted by JimC

On some masts you can slide the gooseneck up and down.

Probably more stable and yes, but the downside is that the Heron is a 1950 design and the Gull 1956, and a lot of progress was made over that period. I've sailed both a fair bit and personally greatly prefer the Gull.
Ah I don’t think the gooseneck can move on our club Wayfarers and thank you about the Gull/Heron 
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 20 at 12:07pm
We ended up fitting a higher gooseneck as we never use a full size sail. A sliding gooseneck would be easy to fit, though, they just have a wing nut to tighten them in place.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 20 at 12:12pm
Sailed the Heron a few times, never really thought that much of it. Like a small GP14. Somehow the Mirror seems like a better boat for the size, with loads more space because of the bow transom and open deck layout. Better than the Gull in my view too, but maybe not for your purposes.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 20 at 12:48pm
I have sailed my Mirror 2 handed, crew and helm, both adults.
Robert
polc1410 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote polc1410 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 20 at 12:49am
Heron - more stable than a Gul

Has seats in board

Has enough deck to sit on to hike if desired (unlike a mirror which digs into your legs)

Light enough to pull back up a slip single handed.

Modern FRPs rarely come up second hand though...
Modern ones very well designed in terms of layout etc

Can have under deck storage if desired.

It's a small GP (that's how it was designed) and a pointy mirror (the mirror was an easier build).

You want a bermuden rigged one, a d definitely not 100% Genoa

In 15 years - accidentally capsized once and have no idea what I did - was between races just reaching and bang.. have raced hard - water over the gunwales etc dump the sail and she sits back up. Sailed with 3 year old kid and adults.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>