FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Questions on a new to me Minisail Sprint I

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SlowSL View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote SlowSL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions on a new to me Minisail Sprint I
    Posted: 13 Jul 20 at 8:00pm
Just picked up a Minisail Sprint 1 and had some questions.  I can't seem to find much info on the boat on the internet.  I've sailed a hobie 16 for years,  and a small styrofoam dinghy even more basic than the Minisail, as a kid, so I'm fairly new to this type of boat. 

First, should the main sheet be routed starting from the strap on the top of the rudder, through the rear block, then forward to the block hals was down the boom, then to your hand?  I feel like my old boat was like this.  Also, there is an upright swivel block mounted in the middle of the cockpit, is the mainline supposed to run from the boom block through this block for extra mainsheet purchase, or is it used for something else?  

I was also concerned with the sail shape, doesn't look correct to me.  It has a boom vang, which is nice, however, no matter what I do, the leech of the sail always looks like it's way too tight, even with the mainsheet eased, is this normal?  The way the sail appears as a whole, looks like the sail wouldn't have proper airflow at the leech at all with how tight the leech is.  The only time I've had it out so far was in about 5-6 knots, so maybe there just wasn't enough airflow for the sail to take proper shape?

Hope someone can help.
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 20 at 8:30pm
Hi,
Have you looked on Minisail.org.uk
Robert
SlowSL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SlowSL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 20 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by 423zero

Hi,
Have you looked on Minisail.org.uk

I have, not a lot of information that is useful to me.  The "minisail on the web" section links to this forum.   I was just accepted into the facebook group though, which seems to be active, maybe I will find answers there.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 20 at 3:39pm
It sounds like the mainsheet arrangement might be identical to a Laser

Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 20 at 5:59pm
Have answered about mainsheets on facebook, but one type on the boat is very similar to the above, sometimes taken straight off the boom.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
 Post Reply Post Reply