FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Demise of the Laser 4000

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Demise of the Laser 4000
    Posted: 01 Jul 20 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Noah

Apologies for bursting the bubble Sam, but whilst the 4-Tonner has had better attendances than I would have expected (and it always seemed a nice single-trap assy boat), the Fireball results are missing from the Y&Y stats - 26 in 2018 (depressed by the worlds) and 44 in 2019. These push the Laser 4000 down to 4th o/a and 2nd adult boat in 2019.

That comes as no surprise, in fact I was surprised and wondered why they had no Nats in 2019.

2nd adult boat in that category is not too shabby though (bear in mind that comes from a Spice owner.....  Wink)
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 20 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

2nd adult boat in that category is not too shabby though

That would be the Osprey I think you'll find. On a 3 year average several other classes are ahead.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 20 at 6:28pm
Quite likely, the dataset was insufficient and contained many omissions so I'll admit my logic was flawed, though if I was in government I would still be able to declare it a resounding success (or, at the very least, blame Canada)  LOL
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Paramedic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 20 at 6:53pm
These were all built in polyester and to a price.

If these moulds still exist and you could build the same boat in modern materials and with a carbon rig they'd be very different animals. I know the Boss was carbon and had a carbon rig but it was very early days and im sure the resin system was still polyester.
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 20 at 7:33pm
Steve Cockerill got into the class a few years ago and I believe marketed a few Rooster spares for the boat. Has he now given up on them? 
NickA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 20 at 8:14pm
Incomprehensible to me; asymetric trapeze boats are so much fun.  Some blame the arrival of the lighter and faster RS800, and the turgid attitude of Performance Sailcraft didn't help; they never allowed classes to develop; just bunged them on the market and, when they stopped selling, withdrew them - so compared to the RS800 it is certainly dated.

Probably the main reason for its demise is an increasing propensity of people to sail slower, easier, "safer" boats, with the more gung ho remainder heading for better newer boats.

Nevertheless, the 4000 is still alive; I've seen 6 to 10 boats at opens, Rooster now sell all the bits, hulls are cheap as chips. 

They are not perfect, the fully battened rig tends to power up suddenly (a pain on the beach) and the tall and heavy aluminium mast and rounded hull shape can make them heel alarmingly if you get a roll tack or a gybe wrong.  The hull is pretty heavy too, even without the correctors, and if you are a light pairing you have an already heavy boat full of lead correctors to pull up the slipway!  The construction is Performance Sailcraft standard - sprayed chopped strand fibre - which is heavy for its stiffness and tends to develop soft spots; it should really have been GRP matting over foam.

Had it been re-developed with an epoxy hull (as we did with the 3000) and a carbon mast, maybe a slightly softer main sail (the new Rooster one probably is) it would be / have been a great boat.   
Buy one for a play and find out; you won't lose much on the way.
Javelin 558
Contender 2574
Paramedic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 20 at 5:57am
Originally posted by NickA

Probably the main reason for its demise is an increasing propensity of people to sail slower, easier, "safer" boats, with the more gung ho remainder heading for better newer boats.

Besides the construction issues, I think there has alas been a realisation among those in it for the race rather than the ride that a slower boat gives better boat on boat racing.

When you think that there were at one stage three classes, one each from Topper, Laser and RS, competing for the same group of sailors something had to give. RS had better products and were better at marketing them but even these have declined massively from where they were in the late 90's/early 00's

Anyone else remember the Audi L5000 circuit?
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 20 at 8:12am
I suspect most of us are at a standard where we can either concentrate on racing a boat that is easy to sail, or concentrate on sailing a boat that is difficult, leaving no room for the tactics of racing.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 20 at 8:23am
^ This!..... Is exactly the reason I bought the Blaze after 10 years of sailing the Spice. I wanted a singlehander (no regular crew) and to take my racing a little more seriously again so needed a boat with no trapeze and no kite.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
furtive View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote furtive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 20 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Rupert

I suspect most of us are at a standard where we can either concentrate on racing a boat that is easy to sail, or concentrate on sailing a boat that is difficult, leaving no room for the tactics of racing.

One of the great things about the 4000 is that it's fast enough to be fun, but easy enough to sail that you can focus on racing, and also jump in with a different helm/crew and get up to speed fairly quickly.

Yes it's heavy, but that means that crew weight makes less of a difference to total weight, and that the weight equalisation works over a huge range. The 800 is a great boat, but much more limited in terms of weight range. And you need to practice more to make it go fast!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>