New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: A fast occasional doublehander boat. Is there one?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A fast occasional doublehander boat. Is there one?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Rupert View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A fast occasional doublehander boat. Is there one?
    Posted: 08 Jun 20 at 7:39pm
The Vago is pretty much my least favorite boat. Heavy rotomoulded but an unstable hull form and a heavy mast. Falls over if left alone, and per minute if sailing probably the most rescued boat at our club.

Take a look at some of the older designs. We had a couple of albacore sailing singlehanded a few years ago, which worked well in lighter winds, and room for your crew.

In stronger winds, I can't see any boat working in singlehanded mode with space for a large crew.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 20 at 8:10pm
It is interesting other than the Mirror and Miracle I can’t think of any boats with the two mast step options for double and single handed. The Enterprise has the option of the cruising main and new boats like Vago and Vision reef. 

Nothing wrong in buying any dinghy and cutting down the main for single handed days, roller furling jib are also useful when you single handed and it turns fruity. 
Tink
https://tinkboats.com

http://proasail.blogspot.com
Oceans247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oceans247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 20 at 8:13pm
Thanks guys! So much to research...
Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 20 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by tink

It is interesting other than the Mirror and Miracle I can’t think of any boats with the two mast step options for double and single handed. The Enterprise has the option of the cruising main and new boats like Vago and Vision reef. 

Nothing wrong in buying any dinghy and cutting down the main for single handed days, roller furling jib are also useful when you single handed and it turns fruity. 

Formula 16 cats about as close as I can think, looks great single handed but I suspect quite a light double crew
Musto Skiff and Solo sailor
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 20 at 8:37am
I taught my kids to sail in an Enterprise* with a Firefly rig, and they first soloed with a Firefly main and the CB raked back. It worked very well and the Ent is a lovely, well mannered boat in most conditions. OTOH, with a full rig it's a handful for a solo 75kg sailor but not too exciting with 160kg on board if it's not blowing a bit, a compromise. I'd think something with a kite for two up sailing and a reduced rig for single handing is the most successful option (the Spice with a L2k mainsail was a reasonable compromise)
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Oceans247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oceans247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 20 at 8:40am
I love the look of it, but not so much the price :-(
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 20 at 10:07am
Enterprise, plenty about and cheap, sailed mine solo loads of times, even up to thinking I had made a mistake.
Probably half the weight of most 2 handed rotomoulded boats, like I said just so cheap you won't be worried about bashing it.
Robert
skslr View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote skslr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 20 at 11:03am
Not sure if it helps at all, but this classic singlehander should be able to carry a relatively heavy additional person person better than other singlehanders:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O-Jolle
rb_stretch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rb_stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 20 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Rupert

The Vago is pretty much my least favorite boat. Heavy rotomoulded but an unstable hull form and a heavy mast. Falls over if left alone, and per minute if sailing probably the most rescued boat at our club.

Take a look at some of the older designs. We had a couple of albacore sailing singlehanded a few years ago, which worked well in lighter winds, and room for your crew.

In stronger winds, I can't see any boat working in singlehanded mode with space for a large crew.

I used to singlehand my Albacore and they can certainly take the weight of heavier crew as well. A very versatile boat, but a purposely designed singlehander is always going to be better at singlehanding.
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 20 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Neptune

Originally posted by tink

Formula 16 cats about as close as I can think, looks great single handed but I suspect quite a light double crew

Yep, that's about it for fast occasional boats that are helm + 1 optional. Or the Weta.

Edit: a Spitfire Cat might be a good shout if Solent. Weston has a few. https://spitfiresailing.org.uk

Edited by Jack Sparrow - 12 Jun 20 at 4:04pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>