New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: A fast occasional doublehander boat. Is there one?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A fast occasional doublehander boat. Is there one?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Oceans247 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Oceans247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A fast occasional doublehander boat. Is there one?
    Posted: 06 Jun 20 at 9:17pm
Greetings,

I plan to sail mostly on my own but also together with a mate. I'm 80 kg (12.6 Stone) and he is 95kg (14.9 stone).

I do not want a beginners boat as I have sailed plenty before. I want a fast boat that I can sail on my own but with the occasional 95kg (14.9 stone) crew member. 

Do you have any suggestions?

I have been looking as the Laser Vago and the RS Quest.

I will mostly sail on a large reservoir but sometimes take her down to the solent.

Cheers,

Oceans247

Edited by Oceans247 - 06 Jun 20 at 9:18pm
zeon View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote zeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 20 at 10:48pm
Vago is probably the best of a bad bunch. The problem is the compromise in what you want is just too big . You end up with a boat that does neither thing very well . 
Hopefully a more experienced sailor than me can give you a better answer . 

423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 20 at 10:10am
Have a look at the 'Hartley 15' best rotomoulded boat I have sailed.
Robert
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 20 at 7:11pm
I was 80kg and had an RS Vision was great single handed up to a force four, with the asymmetric it was interesting enough single handed. With a crew on the wire was good for a roto moulded boat. Tried single handed trapezing but the cockpit ergonomics where just not right, Vago would be better for that. Obviously it depends on your ability but I know a guy that sailed a 470 single handed.  
Tink
https://tinkboats.com

http://proasail.blogspot.com
Neptune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 20 at 8:37pm
I’d only say that with some of those bigger rotamoulds they can be incredibly heavy if you have anything other than a relatively flat concrete launching area so keep that in mind.

Together I reckon you’d make a great Osprey pairing!

What about a cat if you sail coastal or one of the big lakes
Musto Skiff and Solo sailor
tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 20 at 9:03pm
Yeah would agree about the weight of roto, my vision was back breaking on land. Out on interest I recovered solo a Wanderer, supposed to be heavier and it was a breeze compared to the Vision. Horses for courses in eight years the only maintenance was replacing the jib furl line and it lived on the North York Moors the entire time. 
Tink

Gordon 1430 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gordon 1430 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 20 at 8:12am
Might be worth finding out a bit more about these.
https://www.beneteau.com/en/first/first-14
Gordon
Phantom 1430
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 20 at 8:56am
I did this 12 years ago and bought a Spice. The aim was to sail it mostly two up and occasionally solo which worked reasonably well but singlehanded sailing was only possible in really light weather and with a 12 stone crew we were at the top of the weight range so compromised in both cases. Also fast boats are often tricky to sail which limits your choice of crew.

If there is any way to have two boats then that would be a much better solution. A fast singlehander like the Blaze and I expect to change the Spice for something more forgiving (i.e. no wires and a more sensible sized kite 400 or L2k maybe) at some point.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Oceans247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oceans247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 20 at 6:33pm

Thank you very much to all of you who responded. I have taken a look at every suggestion you guys made. 

I have been informed about a Laser Vago that belonged to my local club. It is in quite poor condition though. It is apparently from 2008. The spinnaker is heavily faded from UV, the rudder has several chunks out of it, the boom has quite deep abrasion marks from where it rubbed against the shrouds, the boat cover is moldy and stiff and does not seal closed, the launch trolley is kind of crappy, but the hull seems sound…

I am now wondering how I should value such a boat.

tink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 20 at 7:20pm
I always find as many for sale prices as I can Apollo duck, Facebook groups and plot a graph of age vs price. Clearly easier to do for a laser.  Obviously look you can drop for issues with a boat. On a vago check the deck where the helm stands and all round the rudder fittings 

Edited by tink - 08 Jun 20 at 7:21pm
Tink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>