FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laser 2 help …Please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Neptune View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Neptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser 2 help …Please
    Posted: 01 Jun 20 at 1:16pm
Number one looks like a makeshift boat breaker. Release trapeze hooks And connect to one hook and the other to bow fitting to help pulling on rig tension
Musto Skiff and Solo sailor
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 20 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Neptune

Number one looks like a makeshift boat breaker. Release trapeze hooks And connect to one hook and the other to bow fitting to help pulling on rig tension

I wondered about that, but surely the Laser 2 doesn't use that much rig tension? It was built by Laser, it would fold in half?!

I seem to remember grabbing the forestay? Mind, they were very knackered.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
sarg boland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sarg boland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 20 at 9:19am
Heavier the crew more tension.  As a rough rule of thumb crew stands at bow and then pulls forestay with all their weight and hailyard is clipped on.  I would never get extra hands, special devices because it will put unnecessary strain on mast etc......  There was craze for lots of tension and then complaints when they snapped their mast!  It is always best in Laser to keep it simple.

Incidentally initially Laser 2 very popular on university circuit mainly because of its bomb proof hull.  Team racing has a premium on roll tacking and gybing and the Larks and Fireflies of the 70's could not construct centre board cases that could withstand the student abuse. 
Fair winds
DanJH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DanJH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 20 at 12:25pm
Thanks for your help and words of wisdom.

The sails don’t look like the others mentioned on here.
Do I need to add numbers before I sail ? The boat number is LLG464

DanJH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DanJH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 20 at 12:29pm
DanJH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DanJH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 20 at 8:38am
Can anyone give me an idea on the age of this boat please ?

Thanks. Dan.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 20 at 9:04am
I'll make a finger in the air guess of early to mid 80s, but that is purely based on not remembering seeing many round after that, not on anything more useful. I would be mildly surprised if it wasn't last century.
NicolaJayne View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote NicolaJayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 20 at 10:32am
iirc the L2 Fun was   mid 90s to keep  the moulds busy  as  the serious racers moved to the  quasi skiffs   such as the 4 and 5 tonner  and the topper / white   ISO family

DanJH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DanJH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 20 at 10:52am
Thanks.
I thought the numbers LLG 464 may have meant something to someone.
I’ve seen that the laser 2 sail numbers correspond to years of manufacture, but my sails don’t have numbers ?

I’m just interested in finding out that’s all

Cheers. Dan.
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 20 at 12:46pm
Nicola sounds more informed than me...

Yes, typically sail numbers are allocated roughly sequentially and can give an idea of date. Hull numbers too I expect, but because sail numbers are so handy most sailors don't pay much attention to them, so you'd probably need someone ho was associated with the factory.

Edited by JimC - 07 Jun 20 at 12:49pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>