FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is Racing Allowed?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 31>
Author
maxibuddah View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote maxibuddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Racing Allowed?
    Posted: 14 Jul 20 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by iGRF

Originally posted by maxibuddah

I seem to be an expert on growing bindweed now

I could let you have some great exotic stuff, it's called knotweed, all the way from Japan, I think I read somewhere it's so expensive you have to insure it.

I've got that Chinese bamboo stuff. Looks lovely but can get a little unrulely. Had one shoot last year grow to about 5 metres! Could have made a mast out of it for your V2
Everything I say is my opinion, honest
patj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote patj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 20 at 6:05am
Originally posted by iGRF

Originally posted by maxibuddah

I seem to be an expert on growing bindweed now

I could let you have some great exotic stuff, it's called knotweed, all the way from Japan, I think I read somewhere it's so expensive you have to insure it.

Had to make a major investment in high strength Roundup 3000 to despatch those Japanese invaders. And the little blighters pop up unexpectedly just when you think they are all cleared. 

At least both clubs are planning to restart racing now.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 20 at 7:51pm
Whitefriars had a trial last Sunday and are starting again this Sunday. Pesky work will get in the way for me, but Wednesday evenings also restarting. Hooray!
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 20 at 9:43pm
You have plenty of room to tie boats up, you could even have a slip way in and a slip way out, hope everything goes well.
Robert
PeteM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeteM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 20 at 1:36pm
I thought it may be useful to share my experience last week in the Osprey - 17ft 6" so it's a long boat.  My crew and I take temps in the morning and will bail out if either feel unwell.  Someone mentioned racing -  interesting up wind, even in a boat that long, I still would get my front leg over the thwart and sit as far forward as possible in light winds, really can't do that now, so a tadge slower upwind.  With a big Genoa the crew normally tacks facing backwards - again a point of closeness. We'll try masks this Sunday.   Everything else is fine to keep a reasonable distance.  But it is a long boat!!  Hope this helps anyone thinking of getting back in their 2 man boat!
Osprey Mk 5 1365
Peviously Sailed 4 x Fireball, 1 x RS500, 1 x 505   All nice boats
Mozzy View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 20 at 3:05pm
RYA updated their guidance a couple of days ago.

"Is it appropriate for people from different households to sail together in the same dinghy,
keelboat or yacht?
The Government is trusting people to continue to act responsibly and follow the guidance
on what they should and should not do. Therefore, participants will have to make their own
decisions on whether they can sail their dinghy, keelboat or yacht whilst maintaining
adequate social distancing. From the 4th July social distancing remains at 2 metres unless
you use mitigating measures which will allow a reduction to 1 metre plus. On a boat, these
mitigations could include (in addition to being outdoors) 1m separation marks on the deck,
wearing face coverings, avoiding face to face contact, cleaning procedures, no shouting etc.
The risk should be assessed case by case and with the correct mitigation in place, it may
now be possible for up to 6 people from different households to sail certain boats.
It is the responsibility of the members concerned to ensure they adhere to social distancing
measures when sailing together. Clubs should encourage safe sailing, but are not
responsible for enforcing social distancing measures between members on the water sailing
together in the same boat. (Updated 15th July)."

Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 20 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by PeteM

I thought it may be useful to share my experience last week in the Osprey - 17ft 6" so it's a long boat.  My crew and I take temps in the morning and will bail out if either feel unwell.  Someone mentioned racing -  interesting up wind, even in a boat that long, I still would get my front leg over the thwart and sit as far forward as possible in light winds, really can't do that now, so a tadge slower upwind.  With a big Genoa the crew normally tacks facing backwards - again a point of closeness. We'll try masks this Sunday.   Everything else is fine to keep a reasonable distance.  But it is a long boat!!  Hope this helps anyone thinking of getting back in their 2 man boat!

Apparantly a wet, spray filled mask feels like you are drowning, so take care with that!
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
PeteM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeteM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 20 at 3:31pm
Rupert, I'll bear that in mind!  Up to now it has been pretty gentle, we're not planning on going out in manic winds.  We're trying to be aware of the situation and take reasonable precautions whilst enjoying our sailing.  As the RYA update referred to by Mozzy says - we're not a contact sport and we're not using the same cricket/tennis balls etc.  but we still need to be aware, and we're trying to do that. 
Mozzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 20 at 11:41am
I wonder why the phantoms cancelled? 

https://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/230555/Phantom-2020-Nationals-Cancelled

The article cites RYA and government advice, but with no specifics. I don't see anything which would preclude on the water activity, especially single handers.

Perhaps they just couldn't make the event economically viable without a full bar program?
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 20 at 12:33pm
Many clubs rely on potentially at risk groups to provide the race management, who might not be quite so keen to volunteer for a group of visitors from higher risk areas.

Also, the Devon and Cornwall residents are ever so nervous about a lift off of Covid 19 due to visitors, we could argue at length at the pros and cons of this, but there are groups in many seaside towns where a group of incoming dinghy sailors might be like a red rag to a bull.

Which will no doubt be a disappointment to Cornish pasty makers!
Happily living in the past
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 31>