FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is Racing Allowed?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 31>
Author
H2 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Racing Allowed?
    Posted: 03 Jun 20 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by 423zero

WOW, heard it all now, disagreeing with certain people on here is akin to jumping off Durdle door, plus it shouldn't be discussed on a public forum, because people disagree, WOW again, you need to think, you are not trying to reduce your tax bill this a disease.

If you can tell me how racing with seven people is going to increase the spread of C19 I will agree with you. If its just that you are wired to love rules more than common sense then please stop "twitching yer curtains" and chill out. Ta
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
Chris_H View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 20 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by H2

Originally posted by Chris_H

I dunno why people cant just enjoy the buzz of leisure sailing and being on the water. Why this drive to go racing so quickly? It will come in time. I know my view is not so popular on here, as most here are dedicated racers, and hence why they are on this forum - but somewhere along the way, and a part reason why sailing is declining (amongst many other factors) is that "sailing" has now become defined as "racing". We forget that to get to racing, you need to go sailing first, enjoy it, - and thats why you took up the sport in the first place. Just chill, sail, enjoy. We are very lucky people even to be able to do this ...

I do not disagree with you, but no one has ever tried to stop you just going for a pootle when you want. If you like drfiting around then fill ya boots.....but why are you interested in stopping the rest of us go racing? Whats your motivation for that? We let you do your thing...

Oh FFS. I am not stopping anyone doing anything. Get your head out of your arse. I am trying to put perspective on things. Chill out man.
H2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote H2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 20 at 6:48pm
Chris - coming to a forum aimed at racers and blathering on about the joys of pottering and lecturing people on why they are wrong is pretty annoying, especially when the thing you are advocating for us to do will have zero effect on stopping the spread of C19. I know you mention you are a Boomer in your signature, but sir, you are setting a new standard in Bommer.
H2 #115 (sold)
H2 145
OK 2082
Chris_H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 20 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by H2

Chris - coming to a forum aimed at racers and blathering on about the joys of pottering and lecturing people on why they are wrong is pretty annoying, especially when the thing you are advocating for us to do will have zero effect on stopping the spread of C19. I know you mention you are a Boomer in your signature, but sir, you are setting a new standard in Bommer.

I am not lecturing, nor blathering, nor advocating, nor trying to be offensive - unlike others.

I was trying to be the voice of just the f**k chill out. If you and others choose to interpret it negatively, then thats your problem not mine. 
Chris_H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 20 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by H2

a forum aimed at racers

Is it? Where does it say that? 
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 20 at 7:09pm
Hey, there's twenty of us, shhh you plank, somebody might hear, OK everyone synch your watches, five minutes and Go, Ffs though 'don't shout GO', no one will notice us all lined up, giggling like naughty school boys
Robert
rich96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rich96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 20 at 7:35pm
H2

This whole forum was well frequented by racers once - sadly not so much now

The glass half empty lot are really not adding anything to this debate - if they don't want to sail or don't agree with it they can just sit inside and snipe at those that are

A lot of people have put in a huge effort to get some of us back on the water and, with time, sailing more competitively again

Its of course far easier to sit back, criticise and presumably not go sailing ?

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 20 at 8:33pm
What a disappointingly aggressive turn of events. If you really can’t see that the more people congregate in an area the more risk there is, you are deluded. Maybe the risk is still acceptable, who knows, but it is higher.
Windermere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Windermere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 20 at 8:59pm
We are thinking about starting racing at our club - but only for those that need to check their eyesight.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 20 at 9:08pm
The RYA tell me that govt advise is still:

Stay at home as much as possible
Work from home if you can
Limit contact with other people
Keep your distance if you go out (stay 2 metres (6ft) apart where possible)
Wash your hands regularly

Organised racing seems to push these more than free sailing. If racing it is harder (or less fair) to limit numbers, boats are likely to launch and recover at the same time, boats will be pushed harder (hence more likely for something to go wrong) and there will be more to discuss afterwards.

I know generally the risks are pretty low for any individual and with care they are lower still, but the impression some give is that they believe the whole thing is over and racing can pretty much resume as before. In my three free sails so far someone has moved (touched) my trolley, held the end of my boom to stop it hitting them and several people have chatted at closer distance than I was comfortable with. These obviously happens more with more people around and a common event to focus on.

One of my clients is a large manufacturer with 10,000 or so staff. Last year they banned the use of Stanley knives because of too many injuries. As you would expect this was ridiculed because most of them had never hurt themselves. As an individual, if you injure yourself every 10,000 days you can expect to go an entire career with perhaps one minor cut. But as a company on average there is an accident every single day - despite training, despite PPE and despite notices. There was so much time list to first aid and form filling it made sense, from their perspective, to ban the use. It is similar with racing. The risk to the individual is low, but collectively it may be too much. Or it may not, but the decision can’t be made on the risk to an individual.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 31>